We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Locking old threads

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 1

In a further bid to make these forums less prone to spam bot attack we're going to look at locking older threads.

Currently a spam bot can reactivate an old thread, which pushes it to the top of that forum list, where it becomes live again despite its age and resolved status.

Also, old threads in forums such as Consumerwatch sometimes get hijacked, rather than new threads being opened for new problems.

Locking older threads should stop that.

Regards,

Simon Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

morddwyd

You're the well almost part!

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

I really should change my name....

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Lazarus the 3rd...?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I'll stick in again with 4 weeks after the last posting - if a thread is genuinely interesting and stimulating, there will be no problem keeping it alive/running with new contributions - just look at some of the more popular threads which run and run - I'm thinking of the threads with over 50 posts.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I agree with 4 weeks for thread duration as long as the thread hasnt received a response within the 4 weeks.Then if the thread needs to continue longer,then someone only has to post to it.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

I am often out of the country for 2-3 months. I would say try 3 months. If i needed to I could start a new thread. This would work if we could clear the old thread/s which could clear up clutter your end.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Anybody else out of the country for 2-3 months?

I can't get to a computer on a Thursday so perhaps avoid closing any threads on a Thursday.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

4 weeks is not a long time, far better to start locking postings after 3-4 months.

Ive seen postings carry on for longer than 4 weeks and if it is locked after that time you will just get duplicate postings with links to this or that posting and you will get people posting to the wrong link.

One such link here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/2/consumerwatch/4074313/any-regular-film-buffs-around/ from Topcat.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 1

Hmmmm . . . Carver - that thread lasted just over three and a half weeks and diverges from the original subject of cheap cinema tickets through charity shop VHS tapes and audio books ending up at Sky TV.

Anyway, the thread would only be locked after a certain time (whatever is decided) after no posts have been added, so if it were set at 4 weeks, that one would be locked around 22nd October (28 days) if nobody else posts to it.

If it is posted to again, the locking date would be extended to four weeks after the last posting.

Any posts referencing the original thread would be OK as the original is locked and couldn't be posted against.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice again today that a thread from 2005 as been activated. What I cannot understand is that some of the older forum members, who should perps know better, are answering some the posts, possibly before they bother to check the date of the original posting.

Regarding locking, then 4/6 months sounds a realistic time, unless it becomes very apparent that the original poster as shown no interest in their 'urgent' request?.

I recall the days when the original Forum Editor Guy Dixon and the then new FE (China) sent out reminder emails, regarding thread closures etc!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September