We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Locking old threads

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 1

In a further bid to make these forums less prone to spam bot attack we're going to look at locking older threads.

Currently a spam bot can reactivate an old thread, which pushes it to the top of that forum list, where it becomes live again despite its age and resolved status.

Also, old threads in forums such as Consumerwatch sometimes get hijacked, rather than new threads being opened for new problems.

Locking older threads should stop that.

Regards,

Simon Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Excellent idea and not before time.

Personally I would opt for a shorter timeout (say a few weeks since last post to that thread) rather than being generous with a longer period.

However, the decision (as they say) is yours!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Darned good idea, hope it won't be long before it's in action.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

simonjary

Locking older threads.

Will that be any thread not replied to withing say 4 weeks or do you mean older threads.

We do seem to be getting a lot of first time members opening old threads and spamming them.

Also a lot of posters not pressing the resolved button when they have fixed their problems.

PCA site working very well at the moment if it stays like this it would be a vast improvement.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I think 4 weeks since the last posting would be a good starting point.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

We were thinking of locking all old threads after six months.

How does that sound?

Simon

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

It sounds like you prefer a shorter lifetimes for old threads!

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Buteman & Simon

Four weeks sounds good to me too. Six months definitely too long.

(What else are you planning to change while the FEs in no position to stop you? While the cats away . . . . . LoL!)

PS Loving the automatically generated Ads by Google suggesting Loctite to lock threads :)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Four weeks from the last post seems ideal to me.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

3 months would be a good compromise, 4 weeks in some cases would see some threads that need to run on over a time being timed out prematurely, and there's nothing worse than finding yourself timed out by a know it all computer!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Three months sounds good to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......