We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why did Dr Who change from...........

gengiscant

Likes # 0

scary kids program,but watched by us bigger kids, into the pretentious garbage we have today? I have struggled to work out who this program is now aimed at, very little action, nonsensical dialogue, which I struggle to understand so how the young kids get on with it is a mystery.

The actual Doctor character seems to get worse each time he changes, I appreciate he has always been played as an eccentric character but British eccentric not silly eccentric and his companions have as much charisma as paint drying.

Don't get me started on that other piece of political correctness gone daft Merlin.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Stopped watching it quite a few series ago for the very reasons you mention!

Pretentious garbage is a good description (as it is for so much else in the BBC's output!).

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I stopped watching when Christopher Eccleston was booted out, he was a fantastic doctor and David Tennant was nowhere near as good.

Watched a bit last week by accident and it just seemed garbage, the dialogue was stilted and the acting appalling

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Christopher Eccleston was a brilliant doctor but I think it was his choice to leave, he did not want typecast.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

I agree to some extent. Been a fan all my life but now it's getting out of hand. I believe Russel Davies is no longer writing the scripts and his input is missed. There was always a subtle humour, though the last 2 episodes did have one or two jokes. The idea of making it a complete story throughout the 13 episodes was not good. It was more fun when each episode was different. I guess kids don't scare easy these days, even William Hartnell used to frighten me. It does seem that the writers/producers are trying to cater for all ages, but then that's what Torchwood is for!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe

It would be nice to think that, but he revealed whilst delivering a recent acting class that he was offered a second series but he didn't like the show management and politics...

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/986982/christopherecclestonisthiswhyhereallyquitdoctor_who.html

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

bugle has hit the nail on the head "The idea of making it a complete story throughout the 13 episodes was not good. It was more fun when each episode was different." although I personally disagree about the not good part. I enjoyed the new series and found it stimulating to have to think back, remember the earlier plot lines and see how they had developed. Much better than the old Doctor meets a baddy, Doctor has a tough time, Doctor beats the baddy predictable plot lines of old.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Why did Dr Who change

They have "sexed it up" to appeal to the teenage market.

Why -- because teenagers have more pocket money and the freedom to spend it on what they want than the younger kids do.

Or is is this just me getting cynical in my old age?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

They have "sexed it up" to appeal to the teenage market

I am obviously watching a different program to you, I fail to see what constitutes Dr Who being sexed up, I not even sure I know what it means. I have already commented that his companions have the charisma of paint drying and I might add the looks. So nothing sexy there, the Tardis has more colour is that what you mean? I also fail to see what pocket money has got to do with this particular television program. Have I missed something?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sexed up

younger companions - Amy pond constantly falling over in a short skirt - River and the Doctors constant flirting.

pocket money

Just do a search for Doctor Who merchandise and see what comes up

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

*Amy pond constantly falling over in a short skirt *

I have seen more meat on a butchers pencil, not my opinion of hot and I thought Dr Who always had young companions., and as for the constant flirting, thats what sexed up means does it? Well I live and learn.

Just do a search for Doctor Who merchandise and see what comes up

There has always been merchandise associated with Dr Who, there might be a bit more of it and it might be more electronic, but still do not see the connection between sexed up and pocket money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia