We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

trust in the police force.

daz60

Likes # 0

Given the news reports regarding police activities or "inactivities" in some areas and the public's distrust, especially since the 'incident' in Tottenham which acted as the catalyst for the riots,is this a good idea to reinstate this officer.?

Would it not, in the public eye,reflect the belief that they are above the law they claim to represent/defend.

alleged police corruption ?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

They have no choice at the moment he is considered innocent and until the retrial and hopefully conviction you cannot sack a man who has done nothing wrong unless you want to end up in court yourself on the losing side.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

How, exactly, does this show he is "above the law"?

His conviction was quashed by the Appeal Court. In the eyes of the law he is as innocent as anyone else who's conviction is quashed.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

He may have been reinstated as an officer but he is likely to be immediately suspended as any other officer facing serious criminal charges would be. Undoubtedly though he will challenge the suspension.

Dizaei is an embarrassment to the police and I am sure they, more than anyone else would like him gone but as he has shown in the past he will very quickly instigate legal proceedings if he believes he has in any way been treated unfairly.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Mistoffelees,

maybe i should have been grammatically correct in my final sentence but public perception is not necessarily respectful of such niceties.

At this point i am not saying he should have remained in prison but questioning his reinstatement.He could have been suspended without loss of earnings until the new trial was concluded.

His innocence is 'pending',he is in limbo not 'free'.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

No until proven guilty he is innocent to say it's pending is the same as saying you are a pending peadophile. no one can say you won't be or will be one in the future. He's not in limbo floating between dimensions he is free to come and go anywhere in the world.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

daz60

He's been reinstated as his original sacking was due to the conviction that's now been quashed, for this reason the Police have no alternative but to reinstate him.

As he's due to be re-tried next year he will no doubt be suspended.

Basically all he'll be is a drain on Met resources...

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Kevcar and Alan14,

I appreciate your input but it still does not appear to be the 'right' course of action.The fact remains that serious charges were levelled against him and 'provisionally' these charges were dismissed pending a new trial,it seems only reasonable that in the circumstances consideration should have been given to the interests of the police service as a whole rather than to an individuals concern.

I agree that he is "free to come and go",i do not deny him that freedom but if you are under suspicion how detrimental is that to both the police force and public notions of public service and upholding of the law.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Until he is exonerated of all charges laid against him there will be a question mark.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The charges were not "provionally dismissed", his conviction was quashed and a retrial ordered.

However distateful this is, he is innocent and must be treated accordingly.

So he has been reinstated and suspended from duty.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Even if he was allowed to take up his previous position, he would have been destined to the 'back office'. That in itself would have most likely brought further complaints and possible problems, from this officer and others working around him.

Throughout the country there are a number of similar people who are on full pay and benefits, while decisions are being legally made as to the way forward on their destinies. My local council (the tax payer) are spending something in the region of £1m a year, while legal consultations are being undertaken with suspended from duties employees.

Reading this latest report, I wonder how Tariq Ghaffur (ex-Met Assistant Commissioner) is taking this?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad