We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What sort of a micro-beast is this?

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

Found this morning on top of my car which was put into a dry dusty garage overnight, all very dead! About 20 corpses were fairly evenly distributed over the roof with just one on the bonnet.

At a normal distance they appeared dull grey rather like dead woodlice. They are small and I wondered if they were small seeds with a feathering, but on looking closely I could see clusters of legs! I don't think this the woodworm beetle, but it might be some exotic cousin. The common woodworm it seems has hefty wing cases Have a look at - -

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/dms60/beetles/

The edge of a ruler close by is graduated 1mm spaces. I have selected pieces of wood stored under the roof but strangely, almost nothing above the car roof.

Can anyone identify this creature?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Oh Dear.... try this

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Have a look here: Natural History Museum, Entomology Department

There are forums there to which you can upload pictures for identification.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Or the Direct Link http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/dms60/beetles/beetles.jpg

very strange looking beetle/insect

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

A more useful NHM link: NHM Nature Plus

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thank you both for understanding and getting the commands right!.

lotvic - you showed how to use Photobucket.

Mr Mistoffelees - you gave me a potentially more successful website.

I won't tick this until if or when I receive some ideas from the Nat.History site, in which case I will add it to this thread for general interest. I wouldn't like to meet one of these scaled up by say x10

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

They look like Hoverflies.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I thought that some kind of Cricket/Grasshopper was most likely

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I never would have thought of Water Boatmen either!

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Had a reply on the Natural History Museum site and....... the answer quoted here

"They're water boatmen. Unfortunately, they're mistaking the reflections of your car roof for water and so they think they're diving in to a pond. The long flattened back legs are excellent for powerful swimming strokes."

I would never have come close with that answer, but finding facts to fit a theory... Close to sunset so a very low angle with sharp bright lights from certain angles, and a small garden pond 30 yds away.

The size of the little bodies compared to the length and strength of their legs would unfold to the normal pond skimming shape of little substance.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good