We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consultation on raising our motorway speed limit

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

A consensus of opinion is to be carried out with a view to raising the speed limit up to 80 mph. Do you think it a good idea or not and why? TC.

speed limit poll

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 1

I may be off track slightly with this but I am delighted to announce that my favourite eighteen year old grand-daughter passed her driving test at her first attempt last Tuesday. I'm chuffed to pieces but it reminds me that maybe there should be an element of motorway driving included in the test. I will see if I can accompany her for a little experience run along the local motorway in the near future. Who knows she may soon be taking me out for a run when I am in my dotage. (Can't be that far off can it Brumas?)

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Mind you has it ever been suggested that we have a variable speed limit so that maybe it would be o.k. to go faster at night when the motorway is not so busy

This is just the opposite to Montana, which when the US lifted the Federal 65mph limit for the freeways, introduced a variable speed limit, unlimited during the day & in good weather, and 100mph at night and in poor weather.

Mind you if you've ever been to Montana you'll know that it is quite possible to drive at 100mph for a whole day without passing another car.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"it is quite possible to drive at 100mph for a whole day without passing another car."

I can remember when the A9 was like that between Inverness and Perth!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bingalau, No Comment!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Cars have indeed improved over the years, pity humans haven't.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No - I am in favour of reducing it to 60ish for cars and 55 for HGV (to the nearest round KPH) so that we are in line with the rest of Europe.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Rest of Europe is 130 or 120 kmh or in English 80 or 75 mph.

I say leave it as it is because a lot of drivers drive faster than 70 so this just means they would be faster than 80.

Noldi

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I am in favour of an 80mph maximum and for it to go hand in hand with variable limits and strict enforcement

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Yes, I'm in favour of 80mph speed limit, along with enforcement of a minimum speed limit as well, because I see many cars doing 40mph in the slow lane these days when the traffic is free moving.

It's frankly dangerous to drive so slow that lorries have to move into the middle lane to pass you.

Yesterday I was stuck behind a transit on a two lane section of the M65 that was maintaining a steady 45mph, the fast lane was clogged and no-one would let me in, when I did manage to pass him the road in front was clear, so there was no need at all to drive that slow.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

wiz-king is not wiz as Noldi has pointed out. I am miles away from doing as our Brussels masters dictate but at least they are more sensible on this one! Accidents are caused by bad driving, not high speed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do