We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consultation on raising our motorway speed limit

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

A consensus of opinion is to be carried out with a view to raising the speed limit up to 80 mph. Do you think it a good idea or not and why? TC.

speed limit poll

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

woodchip

I think you mean Crossply tyres I do indeed

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I've spoken to police officers who have stated that they turn a blind eye to people doing about 80 mph on the motorways. but do their best to catch the 90-plus speedsters. They obviously can't go after every vehicle doing just over the speed limit. It has already been pointed out earlier in this thread that there is an amount of leeway given above the limit anyway. But if the limit is going to be raised then it is an absolute must that it has got to be strictly enforced.

Mind you has it ever been suggested that we have a variable speed limit so that maybe it would be o.k. to go faster at night when the motorway is not so busy. I have driven down to Plymouth in the past and not seen a vehicle for miles. I know it is busier now and getting more so every day. But with judicious use of cameras and modern signage there could be say 90 mph limit when a length of motorway is nearly empty, also a reduction when it is clammed up, so the speedsters in the outside lane are also forced to slow down.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 1

I may be off track slightly with this but I am delighted to announce that my favourite eighteen year old grand-daughter passed her driving test at her first attempt last Tuesday. I'm chuffed to pieces but it reminds me that maybe there should be an element of motorway driving included in the test. I will see if I can accompany her for a little experience run along the local motorway in the near future. Who knows she may soon be taking me out for a run when I am in my dotage. (Can't be that far off can it Brumas?)

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Mind you has it ever been suggested that we have a variable speed limit so that maybe it would be o.k. to go faster at night when the motorway is not so busy

This is just the opposite to Montana, which when the US lifted the Federal 65mph limit for the freeways, introduced a variable speed limit, unlimited during the day & in good weather, and 100mph at night and in poor weather.

Mind you if you've ever been to Montana you'll know that it is quite possible to drive at 100mph for a whole day without passing another car.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"it is quite possible to drive at 100mph for a whole day without passing another car."

I can remember when the A9 was like that between Inverness and Perth!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bingalau, No Comment!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Cars have indeed improved over the years, pity humans haven't.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...