We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consultation on raising our motorway speed limit

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

A consensus of opinion is to be carried out with a view to raising the speed limit up to 80 mph. Do you think it a good idea or not and why? TC.

speed limit poll

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You might as well call speed humps an enjoyment to drive over, especially if you are a boy/girl racer, with a constant supply of exhaust pipes and brackets!!.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

It's already been said, but stopping distances increase greatly the faster you go.

For example, at 30mph the typical stopping distance is 75ft but at 60mph it is 240ft - over three times as much.

Bear this in mind when you are chugging down the fast lane at 85mph with your hands off the wheel:) and someone in front wants to do an emergency stop.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member "Raise the limit to 80 but then enforce it."

Which leads to the questiom, how to enforce? Fixed speed cameras along whole motorway network, or fit speed limiters to all vehicles.

Personally I would be happy with both/either of these 'solutions', but I'm expecting much resistance elswhere!

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Crikey,someone discovers particles that,allegedly,move faster than light then someone says "lets increase the speed limit", is there a connection.?

Limits may be there to be challenged but,in this context, as Alan14 says vehicles "were vastly inferior" to today's technologically advanced motors but as he also states there is the "idiot" behind the wheel,so it is the psychology of driving that needs to change before the present legal limits.

As a night driver i can see that there is some valid reason why when traffic is at a minimal status you can drive 'quicker' but my other observation is that driving 'quicker' does not mean you are driving 'safer'.

Speed limits in urban areas are regularly broken just as they are on motorways, the authorities give drivers a chance to respect these laws then drivers break them,so whatever the decision it matters only to those who are responsible drivers.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Here's how speed limits are currently enforced, it appears to be the standard system across the country

A speeding fine is only issued if the car is clocked at 10% over the posted speed limit + 9mph

So at 20mph you get a fine for >31mph 30mph >42mph 40mph >53mph 70mph >86mph 80mph >97mph

Covergirl

Stopping distances in the Highway Code are based on the crappy brakes of the 60's and radial tyres, cars today can stop, even in the wet, in much shorter distances, providing the tyres are in decent nick.

Last week I had the dubious pleasure of piloting a BMW 1 Series M Coupe, this is an incredibly rapid car, with brakes to match. Step hard on the middle pedal and it's almost like hitting a wall

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"this is an incredibly rapid car, with brakes to match"

But, unfortunately, not everyone will be able to afford such vehicles and, therefore, the very fact that it can 'stop on a sixpence' simply means that it will get rear-end shunted by 'ordinary' cars that cannot.

These accidents will be far more serious at 80 than 70. People will be killed or injured, just to save someone a few minutes journey time - pointless.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

A sobering thought,

Uk first accident?

you can question societies awareness as regards a 'new fangled object' but the result is still the same.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

It makes me smile on a motorway when the overhead gantry states that the next major town is say 35 miles away or 30 minutes travel time.

I'm invariably in slow moving traffic averaging much less than the legal limit.

The real danger in my opinion is the speed differential between slow moving and the fastest travellers. Before changing lanes, a slow mover has to estimate the speed of an approaching vehicle and the time allowable to make the change. Not easy if you are travelling at 50mph and the approaching vehicle is doing nearer 90mph as will be quite likely.

Many motorways are running at or near capacity some of the time. I suspect that to maintain a safe stopping distance, the capacity will be reduced at the higher speed which negates the argument put forward for increasing the speed limit i.e improving business's efficiency.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I remember coming back from Blackpool. Chrysler Rapier 1.4 Rally Tuned Simca Engine, had a row with wife Went past cop car doing ton before I so it had blue lights on top. must have been asleep as he took know note of me so I put foot back down

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

alan14 I think you mean Crossply tyres, not Radials, Radials are what's fitted today.

I had a Metro 1000 and that would do 100mph but as above brakes was not good enough for those speeds that the car would do, it was like driving a Go Cart and would go though just about any amount of snow. Where other cars would not go

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia