We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consultation on raising our motorway speed limit

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

A consensus of opinion is to be carried out with a view to raising the speed limit up to 80 mph. Do you think it a good idea or not and why? TC.

speed limit poll

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i would put it up to 90 mph, 80 seems too small a jump. i tend to drive round 60mph [to save fuel]on motorways but would be nice to drive at the faster speeds if i was in a hurry.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

If I look back even 15 years the cars I drove then were vastly inferior to today's cars.

My Peugeot 106 had brakes that were seemingly made of cardboard, no airbags, no ABS and even a manual choke. It topped out at 85mph, and driving at anything over 65mph required immense concentration just to keep the car from veering to the left at the slightest lift of the accelerator.

Nowadays even the cheapest cars are festooned with airbags, ABS is standard fit on almost cars, and suspension setups are much better at keeping cars in the required lane.

On an empty stretch of the M6 the other week I tested my Mini by lifting both hands off the wheel at 85 and it remained rock solid in the centre of the lane (I only did it for a few seconds, I'm not that brave).

The only objection to lifting the limit to 80mph that I can think of is fuel use, but even that excuse is flimsy.

My Mini Cooper D averages 60mpg, this is taken from the figures from the odometer and fuel pump, not the trip computer (which reads a steady 61.9mpg so isn't far out), I mainly drive at 75-80mph on the M6, with a short run at 50mph on a fast A road. I seem to remember that my old mini averaged around 250 miles on a tank, which is about 35mpg, most of it's life was spent running between north Manchester and either Runcorn or Manchester depending on where my Girlfriend was living.

My 106 was worse, barely scratching 30mpg, my next few cars were a bit better, but nothing came close to my Mini Diesel.

So current cars are faster, safer, and more fuel efficient.

The only thing that hasn't really changed is the idiot behind the wheel...

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

I am in favor of an 80Mph speed limit. I am also in favour of a 20Mph limit in towns, villages and cities. These are the most dangerous areas for accidents.

Like the recent proposal for weekly bin collections, they have mysteriously found a spare £1 billion from somewhere, it is a sweetener to compensate from the savage cuts being enforced. The mentality seems to be men ( top gear + go faster stripes ) want to go faster. Women don't want smelly bins and maggots crawling all over them. The expenditure for the bins could be offset by the extra revenue received from the extra fuel burned by all doing 80Mph.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

alan14 "The only thing that hasn't really changed is the idiot behind the wheel..."

Presumably you mean like the one you described who not only exceeds the limit, but then removes his hands from the steering wheel!! People in glass houses and all that.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

badgery

You can read it both ways - but I did qualify my experiment by saying the motorway was empty, and I only did it for a few seconds with my hands near the wheel.

It's something I do every time I get my tyres changed to ensure the car is totally stable.

Now I'd be a total idiot for doing the same experiment at 30 mph in town as the roads are always full...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

badgery

The only thing that hasn't really changed is the idiot behind the wheel.

I have to agree with that.

Also the higher the speed the more likely that you will loose control if you have a blow out.

Then it is the innocent drivers and their families that you smash into that suffer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Surely, when anyone starts talking about "veering to the left" and "both hands off the steering wheel at 85 and it remained rock solid in the centre of the lane", would all depend on the vehicles mechanics and maintenance procedures. A slightly deflated tyre or poor road surface could easily cause steering wheel judder?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'd be quite happy if I could travel as fast as a constant 40mph at busy times!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When we are talking about speed, especially increasing speeds on motorways, then personally I find no harm in this, but at the same time urban or rural driving needs to be kept in check and enforced, and not by just using 'doubtful' located speed cameras, that are more for revenue making than safety.

Around my neck of the woods, a number of schools have had lower speed restrictions signs put into place. But it doesn't help when those signs state 'In school hours'. Some of our local schools have evening classes and weekend events, which are nothing like school age pupils 'at school hours' and the areas are very much quieter.

I have driven on motorways and sometimes in public areas in excess (legally) of the speed limits. I have also driven on motorways (illegally) in excess of speed limits, and on those combinations of occasions I have never experienced much difference. Whatever the case, hazards are there, its just a case of making yourself aware of them. Excluding perhaps the person who regards tail-gating,light flashing, or using an hand-held mobile phone the normal way of conducting a journey from A to B on a daily basis?.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Whenever a thread which involves 'driving' appears, it's always a case of everone knowing they, themselves, are good capable drivers and it's the other poor drivers that are at fault (too fast, too slow etc).

When you consider that someone can be deemed fit to navigate a ton of metal at speeds of 70mph (and more!) with only a rudimentary test of ability, it is astounding - and terrifying.

If we allow faster speeds, will it cure congestion? No.

Will it increase fuel consumption? Yes

Who are all these people desperately trying to get to their work a few moments earlier, and what's the point of doing 80mph in the few miles between holdups?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote