We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computing For The Blind

Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

My partner volunteers with an organisation called IT Help@Home helping, mainly older, disabled people gain basic computer skills at home.

Her latest client is a younger woman who is completely blind. She has a program called Guide, supplied by the RNIB, which is very useful as it can read all text on the screen and help identify images, as well as some special hardware.

The client wants to be able use social networking sites, especially Facebook. Guide can read all the content on the site but, she cannot type in Facebook because she has no way of knowing where the cursor is and so cannot select the text input box.

Has anyone come across a program that can help or a mouse, perhaps a haptic mouse, that can help a blind user locate the cursor and so where to type?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Try to get hold of a copy of Dragon Naturally speaking or the old IBM ViaVoice and have a play with them.Earlier versions were often given away. Viavoice was sold to Dragon some years ago and you only have to speak into it and it will type the text - takes awhile and some help to set up but it may do the trick.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Tell her facebook is rubbish and point her towards this website...we will all give her a warm welcome... no kidding.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - another useless post which doesn't help at all.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell - your last post was helpful to me....

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Also have a read of the options

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Mr M. I have not used facebook So,I should not say anybody else should not use it.But, if you are a blind person, then, some of the visual features of that website might not be an attraction. Although, if you know other people who are using that social networking website, then facebook might be a good way of communicating for you.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is an interesting site Blind and Technologyand it seems that using facebook's mobile version may work

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I have not used facebook"

So how do you know it is "rubbish"?

It is not for me, but like these forums, it gives a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.

Good luck to them.

Mr M

Sorry, another unhelpful post.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

wiz-king, the problem is not the typing, she has a special keyboard, the problem lies with finding the text-box to type in. She has no way of knowing where the cursor is so cannot highlight the box in order to type in it.

I have passed on to my partner the suggestion of trying the mobile version.

BTW, I'm another stick-in-the-mud who never has and, probably, never will use Facebook!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If I could make a suggestion, get in touch with the RNIB or your local blind persons outlet or association. Our local outlet VISTA have a very good IT section for daily use by their clients, which covers a whole range of products and ideas.

I would also mention that a registered blind person might be able to claim vat back or have special exemptions/needs on some of the products and equipments that they might require. This might also apply to other people with certain disabilities.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad