We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: What do you think of the Amazon Fire?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like it is only going to be released in the USA to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=amblink3575755627/180-5957263-6093722?pfrdm=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pfrds=gateway-center-column&pfrdr=1YT6S16KGTF1Y2JSW17G&pfrdt=101&pfrdp=1321411382&pfrd_i=507846

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If it's as good as the description, and if it sells at a reasonable price - £250 would be good - it will fly off the shelf.

I want one as soon as it's available.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

An iPad its not. I have just added to my Apple kit with a brand new Macbook AIr 13" The SSD is so fast and the gestures make it the perfect companion to my iMac.

I don't think the Amazon offering is likely to sell in huge numbers, but it is cheap $199.00 over on the Mac forums. USA only at first, which seems to be the wrong way around to me.....Why not release it in Europe and let the likes of Tesco sell it as they did with the original Kindle?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

"I don't think the Amazon offering is likely to sell in huge numbers"

I think the exact opposite - it will sell by the millions. I believe Amazon has been inundated with pre-release enquiries. The Fire will sell on the Amazon web site, and as Amazon is an American company it's understandable that the American market - which is much bigger - should get a chance to have the device first. It will be a question of production capacity, and provided the price point is right demand will outstrip supply.

The Fire is being widely predicted to outsell the iPad this autumn/winter, and I have a sneaking feeling that it might just do that. It's important to understand one extremely important fact when assessing this launch - Amazon probably couldn't care less if it makes a profit on these devices or not.

As the world's largest online retailer Amazon really cares about selling content, and the Kindle Fire will sit there, just asking for that 'One Click' purchasing decision. Once the Fire in in your hands, so to speak, Amazon will be waiting with all that lovely content, also just a click away.

You couldn't dream up a better marketing strategy if you tried.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Think i will wait for a 10 inch version.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm very tempted by the Fire.

I've had a Kindle for a little while now and it's stupendously good for reading, much better than the Sony PRS-350 I bought last year.

If Amazon can design an ebook reader this good then I can't wait to see what they've done with Android

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Oooooooo. Tempting. Very tempting.

But I think I'll risk waiting a larger screen version.

It will be interesting to what the UK price will be for the Fire. £190 is my guess. For a 10" version (assuming it arrives), £240. Here's hoping!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I though that Brazil had burned down without me catching it on the news.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not got a clue about this but it said it said it works with Cloud in the USA.

As I have not got a clue as to what cloud is but it did say it was because Cloud is used mainly in the US that is why it was being sold there first.

It did say that the UK does not or maybe does not use Cloud and if so What will we use to operate it.

So will that make our version different from the ones sold in the USA.

At that time of year I am not sure if I should get on for the Big kid [Me] or the little kid [my Grandson.]

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just bought a 7" (Galaxy) only last week, so I will have to wait awhile before I can justify (or afford) one!

Otherwise I would definitely be interested.

What's going to be the killer IT product over the coming consumer frenzy season?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen