We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Are Your Coals?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

The gas man came on Friday (no, please don't anybody provide a link to Flanders & Swann), just a routine service, and in the course of chatting he revealed that he was always very careful about repositioning the artificial coals on the fire, because in the past customers had made formal complaints to the company because they had not been put back exactly as before!

I'd be the first to admit that I'm not the easiest of customers, but complaining about the repositioning of coal bricks?

Talk about get a life.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

They have no artistic bent

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

When our gasman did his annual service on our gas lamps (we have no electricity) it coincided with the coalman's delivery. I must say when the coalman arranged the rocks in a circle, in the middle of the floor, and tipped half a sack of nutty slack into it for our cooking fire - the gasman even tidied up and removed the old gas mantles which normally he would just toss on the earth floor. ;o}}

For the benefit of those who do not know me, my tongue is very firmly wedged in my cheek and for those who do - you've got to laugh ;o}}

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's a funny thing, this coal on the gas fire obsession.

People get used to the flame pattern in their fires, and in the gas fire business it's a well-known fact that service engineers should discuss the flame pattern with the customer when they've rearranged the coals or logs.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Trouble is - I've whitewashed them so many times, now if it snow I wont be able to find them. Old habits Dai hard.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

When I first bought the gas fire I now have in the living room, about twenty years ago. I also bought extra bits/pieces of the artificial coal to make it look bigger and better. when the gas man called for a routine look at something else, he told me that I should remove the extra bits and that it was dangerous to have more than the original amount. So I now have a full, small brass coal scuttle at the side of the fire. I can't remember the last time I actually lit the gas fire as the central heating is efficient. But at least I know it's there in case of a breakdown in the central heating system.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

My lumps of coal are OK till its snows - then I cant see them - they dont move so I have whitewashed them.

Old habits Dai hard.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"they dont move so I have whitewashed them."

Memories of my childhood come flooding back - my father (camp CO) getting in a lather when there was to be an AOC's inspection.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, Aye, if it moves salute it, if it doesn't, paint it white! I remember only too well!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My gas fire does have a correct order for the artificial coals. There are different sizes and they have to be arranged correctly. So perhaps there are others like me who would complain if they were not put back in the right place.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"So perhaps there are others like me who would complain if they were not put back in the right place."

And perhaps some like me, who would simply rearrange them myself!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features