We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ebay Disclaimer

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

As I have mentioned recently, I am offloading accumulated clutter from over the years. My garage contains loads of bike parts, is it OK to put any sort of disclaimer on an Ebay item?

This is what I have in mind, feel free to advise, I know I'm no diplomat:)

DISCLAIMER:

Please be aware that these motorcycle parts listed by myself are sold as described and shown in the photos. The boxes that they are in, along with the quoted part No cannot be guaranteed as correct as I have found out myself in the past. My description is as true as I believe, but as an old bike restorer, you may know different, in which case, I bow to superior knowledge. This is a garage clearout, some bits have been there for 30+ years.

Take a good look at the photos of any item you intend to bid on, and use your own discretion and personal knowledge as you would at an auto jumble. Once you buy it, it’s yours, if it’s not right, tough... buyer beware!

No offence meant by the above disclaimer, but there is bound to be someone that thinks the world is perfect...

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

Seemed fine up until "...tough...buyer beware!"

Was reasonable up to then and certainly conveyed the message without actually being off putting...then it was.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I thought buyer beware was a legal phrase?

On tenth reading, maybe the tough bit is just too undiplomatic;)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - I do not use Ebay - but your disclaimer looks good to me.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Version 2:

DISCLAIMER:

Please be aware that these motorcycle parts listed by myself are sold as described and shown in the photos. The boxes that they are in, along with the quoted part No cannot be guaranteed as correct as I have found out myself in the past. My description is as true as I believe, but as an old bike restorer, you may know different, in which case, I bow to superior knowledge.

This is a garage clearout, some bits have been there for 30+ years. Take a good look at the photos of any item you intend to bid on, and use your own discretion and personal knowledge as you would at an auto jumble. Once you buy it, it’s yours, buyer beware.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...maybe leave out 'if it's not right...tough' and eliminate the stressed bold text in 'buyer beware!' and leave out exclamation mark.It makes you look as if you are shouting.I have been ticked off for this over-use of bold text.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Version 3:

DISCLAIMER:

Please be aware that these motorcycle parts listed by myself are sold as described and shown in the photos. The boxes that they are in, along with the quoted part No cannot be guaranteed as correct as I have found out myself in the past. My description is as true as I believe.

This is a garage clearout, some bits have been there for 30+ years. Take a good look at the photos of any item you intend to bid on, and use your own discretion and personal knowledge as you would at an auto jumble. Once you buy it, it’s yours, buyer beware.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I posted same time, but you got my drift. - QB

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

'part No' change to 'Part Number' - No is a negative word; might put people off.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If I was American I could write part #...;)

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

My wife has been selling on ebay every week now for 4 years and uses the following footer to all listings.

*Please do not bid unless you fully intend to pay within 7 days of winning.

Non UK bidders please ask for shipping cost before bidding.

If you have 10 or less feedbacks please contact me before bidding.

Outside UK must have a paypal account.*

The 10 or less message makes sure that they have read the listing and know how to use ebay.

Nothing wrong with your disclaimer but you might want to add a note about payments.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?