We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Glasgow's Hospitals Big Communications Project ...

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

...is well underway. As an ex BT underground cable maintenence engineer, I was curious to find out what all of the duct-laying activities going on for the past year, was all about.I asked one of the workers, today, what it was they were doing. He said,"They were connecting all of the hospitals up".My local Doctor's surgery was also being connected, as I had to go down to make an appointment.They were fully booked.,so I said I would come back to make another appointment. My point is 'Do the Hospitals not talk to each other already?'

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

They cant even talk to themselves! It makes sense to have a private network to do this. BT charge quite a lot for private cables - that's if the ducts are not already full.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

'Do the Hospitals not talk to each other already?'

Yes, but this work sounds like it's designed to carry data cabling that will enable computer contact between hospitals and surgeries - everyone will be able to access everyone else's database information.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wiz-king, it's not BT doing the ductlaying its a company called PMK Ltd. And they are doing a fine job. FE, I was thinking the same. I hope they have got the staff to handle the data,correctly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Probably what it is as they are all connecting you should get a form in from the NHS asking you if it is ok to share your health details with others.

That is the point I don't like it means nurses in the doctors surgery or anywhere else can view your health records.

I suppose it is a good thing but if you have some things you want to keep private it will leave the door open for others to view your details.

You can of course opt out of it the choice is yours.

It takes about 10 days to a fortnight for me to get an appointment with my doctor.

The receptionist asks Witch doctor do you want to see.

And you would be as well seeing a Witch doctor as they have to be better than some of the ones we have.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - I could not get an appointment to see the practice nurse, today, for a yearly blood-pressure check, for over a week.I said I would get back to them in a couple of weeks.I was not miffed, as it wasn't an emergency.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've posted this before, but the last time I had to ring NHS 24 about my wife they asked a few details such as post code, house number, DoB and within seconds had all her docs available to study.

They knew precise details of her disability, current ailments, medication, upcoming appointments etc.

More importantly, the ambulance crew had all relevant details available when they arrived (she also stayed on the phone with me until they did arrive, about twenty minutes. Very reassuring when you've got somebody lapsing into and out of unconsciousness at 1.30 in the morning).

When the system works, it works well.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd, the Health Service in Scotland is getting it's act together.I can put up with a little teething problems.There are a lot of older and more infirm people about these days...I will be one of them, in the not too distant future.Good Health to you and your missus!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I will be on the 'look-out' to see who are putting in the cables, and who are in charge of the installations. The vans usually display this information.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes