We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poppy Sellers banned

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is going around on Facebook this morning. Don't know how true it is but its a scandal if it is.

*The Royal British Legion are not selling poppies in certain areas on Nov 11 this year. *This is because some minorities say that it will upset them. The poppy is a symbol of reverence for our fallen heroes of all the wars the BRITISH military have fought in. BRITAIN STAND UP AND SAY 'WE WANT THE POPPY SOLD EVERY WHERE IN THE UK'. THIS IS OUR RIGHT TO REVERE OUR FALLEN.. PLEASE RE-POST**

Poppy sellers have also been banned from some areas of Birmingham

Poppy Sellers banned in Birmingham

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have noticed that nearly all of the Big Issue 'vendors',where I live, are now of a 'foreign' trait.This is an accurate observation.Have the 'locals' been charitably pushed aside?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think the Big Issue sellers should be limited to only being able to beg for a limited amount of days per year too. Selling poppies has been traditional for nearly 100 years and does a good job. Most of these other charities are relative newcomers and look like rackets to me.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Why is every post you make either completely inane or have a strong racial overtone.

I do wish there was a way to block users posts on this forum...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My last post was blocked - alan14 - Sometimes the truth hurts...too much.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

I hope BT turned off notifications from this post, otherwise I have a feeling he won't enjoy the sight of his inbox around now.

You really are a first class numpty

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - I know I am a bit of a numpty..I only post things as I see it.Overtones and undertones are left out of my equations...as I see it.I know I can be wrong sometimes. I do not want to 'fall out' with any of the respected forum members...you included.HB

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

You can say what you see, but if you don't look, you have nothing to say.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

As I said in my original post I wasn't sure how true it is.

alan14

Can't say I've seen many 'Aggressive' Poppy sellers. They are in the main generally elderly ex service persons, who are very grateful for any donation you care to make. Many are often on shop premises who give them access willingly, so any street ban would be irrelavent in these cases.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

BT

Can't say I've seen many 'Aggressive' Poppy sellers.

And you won't, but there are many aggressive charity collectors around these days, they hang around in groups and are paid a commission to sign people up to direct debit payment schemes.

When you bring a rule in to try to stop these the rule must cover all charities, no matter how worthy they are.

In the case of Brum they decided to limit licences to two charities at any one time, and they can't just bend the rule because it's people selling poppies for the British Legion. Luckily Shelter withdrew their application allowing the Poppy sellers to take their place...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Last time I bought a poppy the guy said "Thank you, Sir"

I told him not to be so bloody rude, I used to work for my living!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more