We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poppy Sellers banned

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is going around on Facebook this morning. Don't know how true it is but its a scandal if it is.

*The Royal British Legion are not selling poppies in certain areas on Nov 11 this year. *This is because some minorities say that it will upset them. The poppy is a symbol of reverence for our fallen heroes of all the wars the BRITISH military have fought in. BRITAIN STAND UP AND SAY 'WE WANT THE POPPY SOLD EVERY WHERE IN THE UK'. THIS IS OUR RIGHT TO REVERE OUR FALLEN.. PLEASE RE-POST**

Poppy sellers have also been banned from some areas of Birmingham

Poppy Sellers banned in Birmingham

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I asked for a link to the original story and got ignored

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

This is a typical Facebook reaction.

Many cities, Birmingham included, have banned collections in shopping areas to stop the kind of Charity Muggers (Chuggers) I mentioned in a thread a while ago.

Unfortunately this has the unwanted side effect of preventing Poppy sales.

In Birmingham's case they've allowed Poppy sellers to carry on as normal, exempting them from the ban. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14922433

Lesson to be learnt from this, don't rely on Social Media as your only source of news

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

People in this country had better understand and start to accept that we are a multicultural nation and will only become even more so as the years go by. Who is it that is suppose to have made such a ban? I assume it was the local authority. They have been voted in to represent everyone, all creeds and religion. If the majority of the electorate don`t like the way things are run, the just vote them out of office next time.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Cymro

Why are you linking this to multiculturalism when no such link exists.

The council had a rule that only two charities could collect in a street at the same time. The Anthony Nolan Trust and Shelter were already permitted.

Shelter have kindly dropped there collection so teh Poppy sales could go ahead.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

You can grow your own poppy plants (flowers) from seeds if you want to.I would buy poppy seeds for charity...no problem. £5 for 1914 seeds would be ok.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Bremner, the link was made by the facebookers mentioned in the OP.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Bremner "Why are you linking this to multiculturalism when no such link exists" So what parts of the City and who were the people objecting? You say that Shelter have kindly dropped there collection so that Poppy sales could go ahead. So no problem there then? Mind you I would sooner support Shelter than the Poppy Appeal.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Cymro.

Read mine & Bremner's posts again - it's nothing at all to do with objections against poppy selling, but general objections against the shear number of charities trying to collect in our city centres, often quite agressively. So limits have been placed on the number of charities who can collect at any one time.

The is no conspiracy here, or racial overtones...

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

alan14 "There is no conspiracy here, or racial overtones"

So whats all the scandal that BT was on about in his opening post then?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The scandal is simply FB stirring.

There is a story that councils have rules around charity collections and it suits certain individuals and groups to turn that into a race issue to suit their own agendas.

Right minded people see this and treat it with the contempt it deserves.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes