We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has Nuclear Energy had its day?

zzzz999

Likes # 0

I know their are plans to replace the UK's ageing reactors but given Germany's decision to stop using Nuclear and now major corporations such as Siemens pulling out on the industry, is it only a matter of time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14963575

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

alan14

I am fully aware that work is being carried out to develop nuclear fusion. If you read my post I clearly said, ".. more effort should be applied to developing nuclear fusion (if it is possible .." the emphasis being on more and if it is possible.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

johndrew

Very sorry if I insulted your intelligence, I didn't know if you were aware of the new experiments that are about to be carried out.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

As alan14 points out, nuclear fusion is going to be the way ahead for us and other developed countries of the world. This Times article suggests around 20 years before our first plant comes onstream - fusion reactor - but with increased resources placed with the scientists and some good luck it could well be sooner.

We're told that some of our current, ageing nuclear plants will soon have to be taken out of service and new ones built. It will take several years to build and complete a new fission plant and paradoxically, several more years to decommission and dismantle the old one. The cost will be enormous and already part of that cost is currently being factored in to our energy bills. Once they have fully 'cracked' the fusion problems and perfected a reactor design, then our energy costs and radiation safety worries will diminish tremendously, as will the building costs of the new plant(s).

There should be considerable monies saved that should over time go towards the decommissioning costs of each of our current nuclear plants and the safe deep underground storage of irradiated materials. Yes, nuclear fusion is the way to go and I hope I'm around to see it come on stream. :o) TC.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I have Sellafield on my doorstep,& the local paper has reported everything to do with its operation for many years.I read recently that there are boreholes being sunk (again) around the plant to assess suitability for new reactors.The areas economy has survived on nuclear money for many years,many of the buildings in the town have been refurbished with more nuclear money,the council is pro-nuclear (as it gets sweetners from Sellafield)many of the communities receive sweetners for hosting the many arms of the nuclear industry,such as low level waste disposal sites.They (Sellafield)seem to have a thumb in every pie in this area,from the Festival to the regeneration of the rugby ground(its being turned into a sports village)to the roads,everything seems to be done with NMP(Nuclear Management Partnership)money.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I know they are perfectly safe, but I'd feel a lot safer if there was one on Westminster Embankment, rather than all being in the somewhat remoter areas!

It's like when they were looking for somewhere to moor redundant nuclear subs, there are some perfectly good moorings about 200 yds upstream of Westminster Bridge.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

i live about 10 miles from Heysham, home to one Nuclear power station, and soon to be home to a second.

The people of the town seem to be fairly sanguine about this, but they're up in arms about a proposed wind turbine

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As ohndrew has pointe out the holy grail is nuclear fusion but there was talk of this from Harwell in the mid '50s and we still have not got it. I hope the latest experiments are successful. See here for history of fusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelineofnuclear_fusion

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sorry - should have said johndrew!!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think it should be possible to power a Town, or two, with the hot air generated on this Forum

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wee eddie - I would call one of those towns NICKCLEGG.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded