We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Tricky issue indeed..

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hi, I’ve just been on the phone with one of my friends who I’ve known for 35 years, He is a school teacher at a mixed secondary, He teaches all three Sciences and he was telling me there is a situation that is getting very tense in the school of a 12 year old girl who is from Egypt, she moved to the uk just weeks ago & her parents who have demanded that she MUST sit only with other girls,

Where it has become tense is that the fact that all the classes are mixed and that the parents of the girl have now started to dictate to the teachers and the Head how much space/distance they should be between their child and the boys when sat in the class? This is becoming a very large issue in the school and it has the potential to be much larger due to the amount of other Muslims getting on board, I can see this getting out of hand...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I noticed that their clothes were of an Asian style.I was wrong in assuming that they were non-Scottish,as I didn't ask any of them. Rick'scafe - your suspicions are incorrect.But they might have been Celtic fan's.I didn't ask any of them.The match was at half-time when I saw this march of people, either Scottish or non-Scottish people, so they would have been very lucky to catch the second half.They might have been rugby fans.No one will ever know.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Can you be Scottish and Asian? or even Scottish and English? Dichotomy?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Can you be Scottish and Asian?"

That depends on your definition of Scottish. There is no such thing as a Scottish citizen - all Scots are British citizens. If you define a Scot as someone who was born in Scotland of parents who were also born there, then of course you can have Scots who are of Asian origin.

In any case, why on earth does it matter whether a march consisted of Scottish or non-Scottish people?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I agree with you on your sentiments about the march, the trickier issue is regarding the outcome/resolution of Autoschediastic's poser.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"AitchBEE"

The outcome of Autoschediastic's poser will be that the girl's parents will either have to abide by the school's rules or they will have to find a different school for their daughter.

You can't run a school on the basis of acceding to individual parents' demands for special treatment for their child if it means disrupting the normal functioning of a class. I'm quite sure that the school would accommodate the parents if it could, but I don't see how it could be done; a mixed school is by definition a place where boys and girls are taught together,in the same rooms.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would concur with your last post, FE.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Can you be Scottish and Asian?"

Ethnic surveys by Fife Council normally have several such options, "Asian Scottish" "British Welsh" etc.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It seems you can be born in England and play football for Scotland and "Vickey-Verka"... (My spell checker is going to have fun with those words I suppose).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I am advised by a very experienced teacher that this shouldn't be a problem. In mixed schools girls tend to sit with girls and boys with boys. I am also told that most schools would try to accommodate the parent's wishes by sitting her with girls. It would be the year head who initially would have to deal with this. The headteacher would get involved if there were further problems.

If Autoschediastic's friend is an experienced teacher I would have thought that he would have known this. This is in danger of being blown up out of proportion. Most schools would manage this without any problem.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Far from being 'blown out of all proportion', this is a simple 'hearsay' story . As I said early in the thread, no tabloid appears to have found this story(it would be bread & butter for them!) and so personally I doubt it was anything other than a teacher having a little moan about something, with ethnic overtones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes