We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Expensive Repair or New Boiler?

Cara2

Likes # 0

My boiler is around 12 years old and now needs an expensive repair of around £451 (in addition to the £70 odd pounds a service and fault finding session has cost).

Does anyone have any advice which way to go with this? What would you do? I can run to a new boiler although I would have to put other important things on hold for a while.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Buy a new one, spending that on a 12 year old boiler is a waste.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Okay, thanks for reply.

I might add that it is a Combi Boiler and that it has cost little or nothing over the years.

Not sure that Combi Boilers are very well thought of, researching the internet, but that is what I would like to replace it with if I do go for a replacement.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Buy a new boiler, and at the same time have the rest of the system checked out.

Depending on your circumstances and the property, you might be able to get some form of grant assisted funding.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Not sure that Combi Boilers are very well thought of, researching the internet"

Combi boilers have been in widespread use, here and in mainland Europe for many years, and I'm certainly not aware that they aren't well thought of. They are very efficient and reliable, and in normal use require only routine maintenance throughout their operating life.

I would not recommend spending another £450 on yours, it has given you 12 years of good service, and it's time to buy a new one.

This time, go for a condensing combi. My personal choice would be a Vaillant Eco TEC. All boilers in this range are SEDBUK 'A' rated.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If like me, you prefer a bath to a shower, a combi can take an age to fill a bath.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I have a two year old system which is a condensing combo boiler. It is tested each year and runs at 98.9% efficiency. It's a Worchester Bosch Greenstar which was sourced for me by a friend who works in the trade and recommended it.

It is so cheap to run, I thought that the gas meter was wrong. According to my friend, it's best to go for a boiler which is capable of heating a slightly larger house than you live in.

I must admit, it's a huge improvement over the Economy 7 / immersion heater system I had before, but at the time there was no gas piped to the close so I had no choice.

I'm sure the FE's recommendations are equally good too. Spending money on a boiler which is wasting a large percentage of the fuel it consumes is really a false economy!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not British gas that is charging you this is it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Last time I bought a boiler I was advised to get a Viessmann, about £1,000 cheaper than the equivalent Bosch Worcester boiler.

The only thing that went wrong in the first year was the shunt that switches between hot water & heating, and when I reported it to the guy who fitted it he contacted Viessmann straight away and they had a guy round that afternoon with a replacement part of higher quality.

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/en/products/gasfiredcondensing.html

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

With a Combo boiler, Size of Property and how its layed out Plus how big your Family all count on using Buying and one. Mine is a Wall hung condensing Boiler as it at least gives me a tank of Hot water if anything goes wrong

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer