We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A satellite has fallen out of orbit

peter99co
Resolved

Likes # 0

A five tonne, 20-year-old satellite has fallen out of orbit and is expected to crash somewhere on Earth on or around 24 September, according to Nasa.

BBC LINK

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

NASA estimates the debris footprint will be about 500 miles long.

NASA will post updates weekly until four days before the anticipated re-entry, then daily until about 24 hours before re-entry, and then at about 12 hours, six hours and two hours before re-entry.

The 1 in 3,200 risk to public safety is higher than the 1 in 10,000 limit that Nasa aims for.

If you bet on it and win you would not be around to collect :o(

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It is coming down tomorrow. BBCRadio4 9am news reported 5 minutes ago.Nasa still could not say exactly where.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I will be humming - "Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket" by Perry Como - tomorrow.."save it for a rainy day".

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket"

If you want to try and catch a hunk of white-hot metal falling at terminal velocity, be my guest :-)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1 - "...then you'll have a... pocketfull of stardust." I will be staying indoors tomorrow, justin' case.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government."

I hereby give notice that I shall be charging appropriate storage and security fees for any parts that fall on my property.

I will also require proof of ownership before releasing said items.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

If it lands in the street a warden will probably ticket it!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As the biggest chunk is likely to be the nuclear power pack I don't want to keep it.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

wiz-king, probably be cheaper than solar panels!

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Update.

As of 9:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 22, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 110 mi by 115 mi (175 km by 185 km). Re-entry is possible sometime during the afternoon or early evening of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 hours.

NB The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period.

It would be nice to know where it will be passing over during that time and how does that compare with GMT for UK Readers?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad