We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A satellite has fallen out of orbit

peter99co
Resolved

Likes # 0

A five tonne, 20-year-old satellite has fallen out of orbit and is expected to crash somewhere on Earth on or around 24 September, according to Nasa.

BBC LINK

Like this post
nangadef

Likes # 0

duck.....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What goes up, most probably will come down...due to Earth's gravitational pull. Isaac Newton knew about these things.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

The scientists predictions made me laugh..."could crash somewhere on earth" Hardly likely to hit Mars now is it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

" Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government."

A bit tight of them if the pieces land in the US as the taxpayer financed it. If they land in other countries, and strictly US property, then the US should be sued for any damages incurred by their property.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

The problem with this one is that NASA just don't know where it's going to hit....I heard it was 6 tonnes, but due to its speed and size, some large pieces are expected to make it through the atmosphere without burning up.

Let's hope it hits an unpopulated area or goes into an ocean.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 1

rdave13

That means it's probably an NSA satellite and they don't want any of their secret technology getting out.

Also there's small nuclear reactors in a lot of satellites so you really don't want to be touching any of the bits.

You can track the satellite's fall herehttp://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/uars/index.html

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

alan14

Thanks for the link.....At least we will know if its heading our way :))

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

With my luck it will probably hit my house and take me with it.

I wonder what price the bookies would give me for that happening.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - I hope you are covered - insurance-wise...I would say the odds are trillions-to-one.You've got me worried now...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

" Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government."

If you do is it likely you may be extradited to face trial in a US Military court with a maximum penalty of life at Guantanamo Bay or perhaps you will be sent up to replace the satellite - what with I'm uncertain :-))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...