We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

School thrashings to be re-introduced!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you believe this headline, mind you, I think most of us would say 'it did us no harm':)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Something as got to be done for sure, but what is it going to be, because no matter how many times discipline is mentioned, there will always be someone who knows far better, and thinks that they have the possible answer!.

How many times have you read of a court case that the defence as used "My client was abused" as a defence of their clients actions. We have all most likely heard of the joke about coming from a broken home, and at the same time being told that it was the person that broke it. So it all becomes a case of someone else's problem, and not the person committing the dastardly deed.

The other evening I was watching a program about work in an A&E department, and the senior staff were saying that stabbing and shootings were on the increase with the youth population. When some of the victims are brought in, trying to contact parent's of some of these victims can be nearly impossible, because some of the parent's are not interested. So taking life on that basis, something as to be seriously undertaken, and this is perhaps using and reviewing legislation in its present form, and returning back to the old ways and days of respect for persons and property?.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

I was at a school that had the canning present in the early 80's & believe me "No one" messed with the teachers like they do today!

the big question is we as a society have changed since the days of the cane & there is a whole variation of new rules and regs that would maybe make introducing the cane very tricky legally, So i would of thought IF the cane was going to be re-introduced then changes also need to be made to make the action clearly usable and NOT like most things in the UK are and too clogged down with red tape...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'Oh, for goodness sake!'

It is Friday fm.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

At the secondary school I went to the cane was rarely used but some of the masters had size 11 gym-shoes! Or a blackboard duster could suddenly appear on your desk covering you with a cloud of white dust.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Thanks for the perspective fourm member.

And the explanation mark in teh title of this thread should be a question mark.

Me? Down with jumped up, tyranical idiots and legalized assault, I say.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You all claim it did you no harm, but you're all advocating violence against children, thus proving that brutality engenders more brutality.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you watch nature films how many time have you seen a lioness give one of her cubs a wallop with her paw for misbehaving? Why should humankind be any different.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Nice one Alan.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I attended a secondary school & then a grammar school,during my time at the secondary school a teacher was locked in a cupboard by her pupils and subsequently left after suffering a nervous breakdown.The Headmaster at the secondary school used a bamboo cane regularly,there were several Housemasters who'd use a variety of weapons ranging from steel rulers to a "fish-bat" (a bat made out of plywood shaped like a fish & about the size of a table-tennis bat)The majority of the pupils were well behaved with a small group getting assaulted often.The Headmaster of the Grammar School often boasted that in his 30+ years of teaching,he'd never once had to resort to violence to control pupils(though I came very close to ruining his record)and the teachers were still able to maintain discipline with just the threat of a caning from the Headmaster.I was assaulted by the gym teacher at the grammar school who thumped me round the side of my head for nothing more than explaining my parents wouldn't buy me another gym kit as I only had a few more weeks at the school to go.

Detentions were handed out frequently at both schools,were I to return to school for all the detentions I received(if you missed one,you were given double)and missed,I'd probably be dead and buried and still not have served them all.

I agree that something needs to be done to regain some sort of order at schools,but Society burnt its bridge when corporal punishment was vetoed as children now consider themselves beyond the law.We now have a generation who have never had anything worse than a faceless entity award them a badge of honour(ASBO)for wrongdoing.There is now no such word as "failed" or "loser" at school,as the namby-pambys insist on rewarding the under-achievers or last placed in a race,etc.At the last "Parents Day" I attended with my daughter,I listened carefully to each of her teachers explaining that my daughter was presently a grade C but she should be trying to improve to a grade B or that she was presently grade A and only needed to be grade C.I came away from the meeting & was scratching my head in puzzlement as I couldn't fathom what her teachers were asking for.It sounded like she was being asked to improve in some subjects but under-achieve in others,else she'd be moved into a different classroom.I also lost count of the number of times I heard the word target,& I also wonder about what actual qualifications you need to become a teacher as most communications I receive from the school contain many spelling mistakes.Leading by example? I think not.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

alan14 Yes it did harm which is why went out of my way to mak sure I didn't get it again. Nowadays they can do anything they like and the worst that will happen is some dogooder will pay for them to go away on Holiday.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good