We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

School thrashings to be re-introduced!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you believe this headline, mind you, I think most of us would say 'it did us no harm':)

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 1

"Oh, for goodness sake!

The headline says 'SCHOOLS TOLD TO BRING BACK CANING' and the report says 'Forty-nine per cent of parents think corporal punishment such as smacking and caning should be reintroduced for very bad behaviour.'

In case anyone is mathematically challenged 49% is not a majority."

This survey was taken with 2000 parents. According to 2001 census data, there were 12.6 million parents of dependent children in the UK. 49% of that figure is roughly 6 million. And that was ten years ago (Google isn't being helpful).

So whilst I agree that technically the figure isn't a majority, it's a still a heck of a lot of people.

People talk about the terminology of a 'broken society' with distain. All anyone has got to do is look in their local paper to see which little scroats did which crime. There's a lot of it about.

The prisons are bursting at the seams.

Criminals are being given softer sentences.

Discipline in lots of schools is nil. Kids don't respect the teachers. The little horror's parents don't respect the teachers in many cases. Assaulting teachers is considered by many to be fair game. That's by the kids and the parents.

I went to a school where the bullying, sadistic headmaster caned someone every single school day. It was a concrete jungle of a school, no grass, and bullying by older boys was the norm at breaktime. Nowadays the head would have been arrested and been sent to prison. (they were emptier then).

I think society's gotten too soft in recent years. I've never been caned (I was too clever) but I do believe there has to be an ultimate deterant. I think it would be a good idea to bring back caning.

If the offending kid goes through a proper procedure, including a properly regulated appointed school disciplinery panel and they decided his crime was severe enough to receive the cane then that would begin to get the respect back from the kids who have been brought up to not respect authority.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You have to consider the, possibly, ulterior motives of the teachers giving the punishment.

I went to boarding school in the 50s. It seemed quite normal at time, having been sentenced to 'six of the best' with the cane from the headmaster, for him to offer the alternative of having twenty smacks of the hand to your behind after removing your trousers and underwear and rubbing it better between smacks!!

I always accepted the cane.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Anyone who thinks that hitting children is the way for an enlightened society to reduce the level of bad behaviour in schools is in need of a common sense injection.

What you do when you hit a child - or an animal for that matter - is achieve some kind of control based on fear. You say to the child (or animal) 'I can inflict pain on you if you don't do as I say, and I will, if you step out of line'. The problem with animals is that they usually don't have a clue why you're doing the hitting, but that's another story.

Very young children often don't know why they're being hit either, but older ones do - they understand that you are bigger and stronger than they are, so you can dominate them with the use of violence. I'll leave you to work out what message that sends to impressionable young minds. Those people who say 'it never did me any harm' when the subject of violence to children crops up always make me smile, because of course they are in no position to make that judgement - it's for others to decide whether it did them harm; often their own children can do it because they are being hit themselves.

I'm also amused when I see people inferring that all of society's problems are the result of children not being hit at home or caned at school. It's total nonsense, but they talk about it as if it's a foregone conclusion. It's nonsense because of course children are being hit in their homes - it happens every day, all over Britain, yet still we have the social problems that everyone trots out - full prisons, riots in streets, etc., etc.

The real cause? That's to be found in our homes as well - it's bad parenting. Hundreds of thousands of our children are growing up with parents (sometimes only one parent) who know little about good parenting because they had dysfunctional parents themselves. They weren't provided with a proper set of moral principles by their own parents, so they can't pass anything much on to their children, and so it will go on, around and around, generation after generation, unless we do something about it.

Quite what we do to break the vicious circle is another matter, and I don't profess to have the answer. What I do know is that hitting our children, or allowing others to do it, isn't going to achieve anything other than to engender alienation and resentment.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A short sharp shock did no one any harm. The belt or strap was also known as the taws or tawse in Scotland.A leather strap or thong divided at the end into narrow strips, used as an instrument of corporal punishment.My secondary education in Glasgow was from 1965 to 1971.I remember most of the male teachers kept 'IT' over their shoulder, inside their suit jackets.You 'got it' on the upturned, outstretched palms.My latin teacher, Mr. Lavelle, wore a black cloak..he had a belt..but also kept various fruity ammunition in his cloak pockets which he would whip out and throw at anyone not paying attention at the back.I sat at the front;I was alphabetically lucky;I got my latin 'O' level - band A. Mrs McKay,the maths teacher could also dish it out - even though she was a wee woman, sometimes she would miss and get it on her legs...it was not a good idea to laugh...but it was hard not to.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

"A short sharp shock did no one any harm"

How do you know that?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - my short sharp shock theory, is based on personal experiences. Admittedly these experiences are 45 years in the past and I cannot talk for other people now,or even then.But in my opinion, and judging by the opinions of others on this thread, corporal punishment 'worked'.My knowledge of 'modern school punishment etiquette' is non-existant.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees "badgery, so, do you think the current lack of firm discipline is a good thing?"

What a daft thing to ask, unless your idea of 'firm discipline' is a good beating! We have very disciplined armed forces - are they regularly beaten? If not how come they are so 'disciplined'?

onthelimit1 " just NEVER happened "

If that was your own school experience, then it wasn't mine. Bad behaviour by kids has always been present in schools and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they are on about. 'NEVER' is an oft-used word that destroys arguments, I would suggest.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It doesn't matter if its a good or bad idea IMO it will never happen.

Some Teachers will be afraid of the reprisal as pupils/parents over the years have already attacking teacher for the slightest reason.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I spent several hours during my work this evening thinking of an answer,& the best I could come up with was for the little gits Parent(s)to be given some kind of punishment(a form of community service perhaps)There will be exceptions(carers of children not their own would be given additional assistance in dealing with the errant git)When I attended school,one teachers methods in dealing with my misbehaviour was to punish the whole class and there's nothing like being despised by your friends to make you see the error of your ways.Unfortunately for this teacher,it didn't make me behave any differently and resulted in my getting into several fights.The final method tried on me was to ban me from all lessons,but I still had to attend school & spent the last 3yrs of my schooling sat alone in the library all day where I read books that interested me.I was supposed to go to the start of each lesson & collect the syllabus from the teacher then sit in the library to do it,but I wasn't remotely interested in schoolwork prefering instead to read up on subjects that interested me or sleeping(which was the main reason I got kicked out of so many lessons)I had a milk round & started work at 4am which I really enjoyed but the EA decided that it was illegal for me to start work so early & I was ordered to start no earlier than 6am which meant I was working in my school uniform and being dropped at the school gates with sour milk splashes all over me(& as everyone knows,sour milk smells awful)I've lost count of the times I was told "when you leave school,you'll wish you'd not wasted your time and want to return" Utter twaddle,I hated school & would sooner die than be made to return.Perhaps it's all the rules & regulations teachers must obey presently that is creating the pupil/teacher tensions leading to so much misbehaviour.If a teacher can entertain the class whilst teaching them,they are well liked & respected whereas simply trotting out the days syllabus will bore the class & bored children are a handful.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

beating weans, that's the way to educate them.

Aye, right you are.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK