We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

School thrashings to be re-introduced!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you believe this headline, mind you, I think most of us would say 'it did us no harm':)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Not only did I get the cane on occasions but a ruler across the knuckles was another favourite along with flying chalk and chalk-board rubbers. All of which were very sore when they connected with young flesh.

Whether it did harm or not I'll leave to others and although I was not the most capable academically,at least when I left school at 15, I at least could read and write and reasonably competent with basic mathematics.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

As you say it did us no harm, probably the reverse, but I saw no mention of 'School Thrashings'

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I remember I got '2 of the belt' for copying another boys french 'composition' homework - word for word.That taught me a lesson.Bring it back, I say.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I am all for it. Bring back hanging at the same time. None of them should have been abolished.

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

The problem here is that there was never a law that gave teachers the right to use the cane or whatever. Indeed, the same can be said about getting a clip round the ear by police years ago. It was just part of growing up that, importantly, the majority of parents agreed with.

I can remember getting the cane at school and when my father spotted the marks the same evening and realised what had happened I received a repeat of it from him! Likewise after the many times I was clipped round the ears by the police I always dreaded going home because I knew that the police would have already been and seen my parents and that I could expect more of the same from them when they I home.

Now that corporal punishment has been banned only legislation can get this re-introduced, but how would you define such a law and at what point would a clip round the ears become a good kicking!

No, thanks to all the doo-gooders, tree-huggers, liberals et al, those days have gone and won't be coming back ... mores the pity.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Here we go again. All the "Never did me any harm brigade" out in force to demand a return to beating children. As long as these posters are no longer old enough to have to endure it, they want it - sadists might be a suggested name.

What rubbish, caning/belt etc never solved anything, except when wearing rose-tinted specs.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

badgery, so, do you think the current lack of firm discipline is a good thing?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

badgery At least when I was at school, the threat of punishment meant that the majority of children behaved themselves. Violence against teachers and swearing at them just NEVER happened. Somewhat different to the situation in many schools now!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

hssutton

"...but I saw no mention of 'School Thrashings'" It's there clear as day between the lines.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Joining the village Senior School from the Infants a particular teacher took exception to me being left handed. Each time I started to write he rapped my knuckles with a ruler. According to him being left handed was sheer laziness and he would knock this out of me.

Fortunately, he had been observed administering this punishment on others before my arrival and a week later he departed never to be seen again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features