We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Really Old!

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Now I'm feeling really old and decrepit.

A guy with a 56lb bag of potatoes on his shoulder stopped and held the door open for me!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

You are old when your mind makes an appointment which your body cannot keep.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Only two?

When I was in the Falklands the whole garrison, including the Andrew and the Army, took to calling me Dad, and that was quite a lot of people.

It started with my own blokes (though only the senior rates to my face!) and as is the way in a closed service environment, particularly that one, within days that was my universal name.

The ultimate shock came late one night when I was returning to base with the senior chief of HM Sub Otter.

A heavily muffled and greatcoated figure went past and said,"Evening, Chief, Evening Dad"

"Who was that, Bernie?" I asked.

"The skipper" came the reply.

"But I don't know him"

"But he knows you!".

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

morddwyd. Nice one I like it... Bet you got lots of respect too. I know I do now-a-days. I have very few peers to worry about either. Good innit?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The British author and humourist Alan Coren was a great one for witty obserservations, particularly on growing older. 'There are many mysteries in old age,' he once wrote, 'but the greatest,surely,is this:in those adverts for walk-in bathtubs,why doesn't all the water gush out when you get in?'

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sir Derek Jacobi might have said this (a few times)...

'Have you not a moist eye, a dry hand, a yellow cheek, a white beard, a decreasing leg, an increasing belly? Is not your voice broken, your wind short, your chin double, your wit single, and every part blasted with antiquity?'

................WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, Henry IV, Part II.

...Just about sums me up!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

morddwyd - a good story. - are you real;ly that old?

Service nick-names seem to hang about. I once served with a Group Captain Love whose nickname was "Bubbles" I never had the nerve to ask him why.

A Wing Commander C.W.S. Thomas was always known as " Co-Op".

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"are you really that old?"

Not really, but as you say, nicknames tend to stick, regardless of justification!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

One for the ladies:-

You know your past it when...

You buy a sheer, sexy negligee, but you don't know anyone whose eyesight is good enough to see through it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

and finally...

On reaching his eightieth birthday, the actor and raconteur Sir Peter Ustinov quipped,'I feel I can talk with more authority now, especially when I say,"I don't know."'

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I had a pal in the services whose nickname was "Bubbles" He was named after the "Pears" soap adverts of years ago when they depicted a little boy with lots of blond curls blowing bubbles. Our Bubbles had a head of blond curls too, but he was as tough as old boots and a damn good boxer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia