We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying To Find A home

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

......For my Toshiba Satellite pro. Many suggestions such as Colleges etc. But due to good old Health and Safety, they are not allowed to accept electrical products.

I will be purchasing a Macbook Air shortly, but it seems ridiculous that I can't pass this on to an institution that would be sorely in need of such kit.

I am going to try the independent music school up the road today....I have a feeling they will be less concerned about these regulations.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Local charity who may want to use it themselves perhaps?.

Senior citizens club, who might have a member wanting to become a silver surfer?.

Looking at our local council's recycling depot, there appears to be a weekly supply of redundant IT equipment seeking a new home!.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

spuds

Same rules apply....If they don't pay a qualified person to check out the kit, they can't take it. Now here is a thought..I AM a qualified person.....Wonder if I'm allowed to sign off my own kit?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

forum member

I read it, I screamed....The daft thing is it's nearly new...I can't use it anymore, even if I wanted to, its simply too heavy on a tray when propped up in bed.

Seems you can't even be benevolent these day's.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This charity does not do home collection but may be worthwhile contacting Computers for Charities

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Or how about this list it for charities

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

Being qualified can lead to all types of problems, especially if a computer is not 'working' to the users expectations. Why pay £60.00 per hour when someone might do it for free on an everlasting contract(:o)).

But having said that, our local horse charity was seeking some computer equipment the other month, and they were well rewarded and happy on the donations given. We were offered some large wooden empty electrical cable drums, that a company was having problems with disposal. They made nice jump bar supports, and field spacers, plus visitor picnic tables. All were eagerly accepted and appreciated, and for free for further use. Now that's recycling and invention for you!.

Other smaller charities in the area have now requested similar donations for self use, due to fund raising declining.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Spuds

£60.00 An hour?

I want a someone to benefit from a high spec machine. Well looked after, CoreI7 ...Ity just seems that H&S prevent those who need from having.

BTW checked out my certs.

Gotta pay to do that too

GRRRRRRR

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

It's not H&S that prevent those that need from having, it's jobsworths who are totally unable to take risks and make a decision...

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

PAT is not a legal requirement see HSE1 and HSE2.

There are some organisations which will take old equipment and test and refurbish as needed before selling it on at a low price. Locally we have Environ, Complete Wasters and 1 or 2 others.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

No kids about that are helpfull to you or someone you know that would like one but cannot afford to buy one.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK