We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Full IPhone 5 Specs And Details Breaking Newx

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

enter link description here

I posted this here, as it will become obvious that it does not belong in Mobile World. Hope the FE will forgive me :))

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

......But I like The Freebies!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

iPlum doesn't have the right ring to it, but a fruiting cherry tree might be chosen yet. iLike cherries;)

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Honest Question, please provide an honest answer.

Have you ever tried any Apple device?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I recently considered an iPhone but settled on an HTC on account of software restrictions ikeep reading about associated with apple products.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Please do.

Nothing wrong with Android, but it is at lead Two years behind Apple's OS HTC LG et al will make useable devices but the Apps are the thing.

If you just want a phone....Tesco/£9.99

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'If you just want a phone...'

Funny you should say that, I use my HTC as a mobile web browser, a mobile emailer, a music player at home and in car, a news paper, it's replaced Outlook as my organise and my Satnav on the road, all with the aid of a data SIM, it's replaced everything except my Nokia phone as a phone, it's to big to be comfortable in my trouser pocket, so the Nokia 5800 is still my actual phone and will be until it stops working.

Not much into the plethora of apps from whoever though, which brings me back to my original tongue in check comment 'It perfectly captures the essence of owning an icrapo!' You do realise it was a iGlib comment, not worthy of the staunch defence that you've awarded it...?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

I've used an iPhone, and admit that it was a good looking device that worked well. I have an HTC Desire S though, which as far as I can tell is just as fast as an iPhone 4, is only slightly lower resolution, and has many of the same Apps.

The camera takes better photographs than the iPhone camera though, the colours seem to be better to my eyes, but this is largely subjective, and neither camera would be considered for serious photography.

I've used Apple computers, and again, they look nice, and the software is OK, but they work differently to a Windows PC, and I don't do any work that would required the kind of software at which Apple excel, such as sound or video editing.

What I don't like is the walled garden aspect of Apple ownership, I know this makes for products that are pretty much guaranteed to work as advertised, but I don't like the fact that you can't change the battery in the phone or new laptops yourself without resorting to warranty invalidating major surgery, or the prices they charge for accessories such as additional RAM.

To my mind though, the best ever Apple product was the Xserve, which they've stopped making. These were brilliant file servers, with unlimited access licences (Windows Server has very expensive licences for Active Directory clients), they looked brilliant in a rack and were reasonably quiet, with fairly low power consumption. Now Apple have done away with the Xserve they've had to use Dell & HP servers in their new iCloud data centres which are running a mixture of Microsoft Azure Cloud service and Amazon EC2 cloud service...

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Apps re fully refundable

Funny you should say that, I use my HTC as a mobile web browser, a mobile emailer, a music player at home and in car, a news paper, it's replaced Outlook as my organise and my Satnav on the road, all with the aid of a data SIM, it's replaced everything except my Nokia phone as a phone, it's to big to be comfortable in my trouser pocket, so the Nokia 5800 is still my actual phone and will be until it stops working.

Not much into the plethora of apps from whoever though, which brings me back to my original tongue in check comment 'It perfectly captures the essence of owning an icrapo!' You do realise it was a iGlib comment, not worthy of the staunch defence that you've awarded it...?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

"...or the prices they charge for accessories such as additional RAM".

I agree that Apples in house costs are far too much.

Last week the HDD on my 4 year old iMac went west, Apple wanted to charge £120 for the replacement 500GB drive + fitting and declined to fit the 1TB drive I had bought for £43. A quick search on the web found a video showing to how replace it and the job took 30 minutes.

However this applies equally to other computer manufactures such as Dell. A friend recently wanted an additional 2Gb for his machine and was quoted £64 by Dell - £17 at Crucial.

Crucial will supply RAM for all Intel Apple Macs at equally low price.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

bremner

Yes, many suppliers add sky high margins for add-ons, I was quoted £400 for a 2tb server drive from Dell, and I get Enterprise discount off retail, the same drive from Western Digital would cost less than £200.

The point is that upgrades are easy on most other kit, but Apple make them fiendishly difficult on their stuff. It takes about 5 seconds to get the battery out of my HTC Desire, you need a watch maker's screwdriver, nerves of steel and a spare afternoon to swap the battery in an iPhone.

You may ask how often a battery is swapped in a phone, well I always carry a fully charged spare when travelling in case the car charger doesn't work...

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers