We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compare and Contrast

shellship

Likes # 0

Just finished watching all of the Last Night of the Proms. Admittedly I am biased having tried to watch it for more years than I can admit but there there were 10,000 or so in the Albert Hall, hundreds of thousands in Hyde Park, many in Northern Ireland and Scotland and would have been lots in Wales had the weather not intervened. Nary a policeman in sight and no signs of bad behaviour - apart from bonhomie. Compare with the Tottenham riots and the Notting Hill Carnival where massive police representation was necessary. What has gone wrong?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like classical music but I detest opera.I thought low life was things like amoebas and plankton...they must have things that turn them on...heat and light come to mind.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Perhaps we should look at this issue from another standpoint. I watched the last night of the proms as well and the thing that struck me was the ethnic make up of the audience. There was not a black face to be seen! What does this tell us? That (A) black people don't like classical music? or (B) black people are not patriotic and don't like to attend concerts that are steeped in English patriotism?

A pan round with the camera at such a vast crowd is not a scientific study I will readily agree, and there may have been some ethnic minority people lurking out of shot on the periphery, but during the coverage of the concert and the outside broadcast at Hyde park I did not notice anybody who was not white! They were young and old, able bodied and disabled and judging from the pink union flags homosexual as well.

Simon Jary's flippant comment regarding the shooting of a violinist is crass in the extreme, if a violinist had been toting a "Chicago piano" in his violin case and had been shot by the police I would suggest that this audience would have thought he got what he deserved!

What does this tell us?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would like to defend Simon Jary's remark, as it was meant as a joke.He should not feel guilty about it;we all make remarks that sometimes we would like to retract(or on seconds thoughts-(to oneself)think it is(was) a valid (and straight-from-the-heart statement).We all gain from everybody's thoughts put into words.Right or wrong.(The remarks, that is)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"There was not a black face to be seen! What does this tell us?"

That they are probably so poor that they can't afford tickets, or that they are working such long hours that they cannot afford the time to queue for the cheap ones.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"There was not a black face to be seen! What does this tell us?"

That the PC Brigade haven't managed to infiltrate this popular annual festival, which is staunchly defended by the bastion of jingoistic Britishness?

It's as English as Ray Davies's Village Green Preservation Society idyl.

God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - what about the 'Gollywog variety'. That went for a burton before PC meant anything...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Maybe I should have finished with the God save little shops, china cups and virginity line...?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Nice Kinks link - QB.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...