We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compare and Contrast

shellship

Likes # 0

Just finished watching all of the Last Night of the Proms. Admittedly I am biased having tried to watch it for more years than I can admit but there there were 10,000 or so in the Albert Hall, hundreds of thousands in Hyde Park, many in Northern Ireland and Scotland and would have been lots in Wales had the weather not intervened. Nary a policeman in sight and no signs of bad behaviour - apart from bonhomie. Compare with the Tottenham riots and the Notting Hill Carnival where massive police representation was necessary. What has gone wrong?

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

How did I manage to post twice. Sorry.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Obviously it is such a good thread subject it is worth saying twice :)

I noticed the contrast in crowd behaviour - bonhomie

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I don't see what the relevance is - why should the fact that an audience for a classical music concert is well-behaved and rioters aren't mean that something has gone wrong?

Riots have occurred throughout British history, and presumably classical musical audiences have always been more or less well-behaved. Does that mean that something has always been wrong with society?

It's quite possible that some of the people in the Albert Hall had at some point in their lives committed a criminal act, and it's equally possible that some of the rioters were peaceful members of the same audience, in one or another of the venues.

You're making a judgement - that contrasting the behaviour of groups of people can justify drawing a conclusion, but it's not the case. The rioters acted wrongly, and the music audience didn't. That's it, that's all there is to it.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Perhaps a better comparison is Rugby V Football. The tragic event that occurred in London last week when Cardiff City fan was murdered (allegedly by Swansea fans) when all the Welsh support was supposed to be for the national team boggles the mind.

I'm not a football fan, but have always wondered about the way in which fans seem to hate each other simply because they support a different team.

I was a member of Cardiff Blues (Rugby) for over 20 years, and all we ever had was good natured banter and a drink in the club after the match,

I still bump into fans from all Welsh clubs Llanlli, Swansea, Newport etc. they are all friendly and happy to greet a fellow fan.

You can take your family to a match and be assured that you will not have a brick thrown at you or suffer any verbal abuse simply because you are wearing the "Wrong" shirt.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Might have been all different if the police had shot dead a violinist a day before...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

SJ, that the sort of irresponsible quip that I get castigated for regularly:)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The problem with football rivalry lies in the historic segregation of supporters at football matches that encourage rival chanting and taunting that gets out of control.

Rugby and cricket don't have this problem as you all sit mixed up. I reckon that being able to see the whites of the eyes of the opposition supporters has a calming influence on the crowd.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

low life's are not into classical music, had it been low life music concert might well have been a lot more police

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"low life's are not into classical music"

You've obviously not met many Promenaders!

Like this post
DM.

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

low life's are not into classical music

Bankers, expense fiddling MP's etc?

simonjary

Not really funny.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...