We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lash yourself to the bedpost on Sunday night:0

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hurricane Katia is predicted to bring us The Great Storm of 2011!

The predictions are that it may exceed The Great Storm of '87.

p.s. What were you expecting when you opened the link...?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Well it's a bit wet and windy here in the sunny( I can dream) south of Londinium - 6mph with gusts of 20mph but the wind has dropped from a high of 12mph @ 0300.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Up here in West Cumbria,I heard the rain bouncing off the ground outside & went to look.There has been quite gusty winds and some monsoon type showers in the last few hours & I expected to find my car floating away,but the road is only under an inch or so of water and no visible signs of damaged trees,so it sounds like a hurricane but doesnt appear to be much more than a stiff breeze.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Always sounds worse at this time of year when the leaves are still on the trees (also why the winds are likely to do more tree damage).

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have just taken down my washing-line ropes to lash down three of my small greenhouses, as I was running out of ropes..Luckily, there are solid metal railings along-side to keep them fixed.The wind has picked up somewhat in Glasgow (southside).

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Met Office said all along that they were a bit unsure of its track and speed.

Latest prediction locally is increasing all day with a peak at rush hour tonight.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Interesting to note that the Met Office website calls it a cyclone, not a hurricane.

Yes, I know that they're the same thing, but the term cyclone is rarely used in this part of the globe.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have just dragged a large branch of a tree from the road outside my house.My neighbour has moved his car (wisely), away from the tree as the wind is predicted to get more ferocious.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Here in Nairn, there hasn't been a breath of wind all day, but frequent heavy showers have been with us most of the day.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

This looks like a useful website re current discussions - a bit easier to see the overall situation than the Met Office. Capel Curig in N Wales seems to have had a gust of 80 mph but so far the situation seems managable in most places.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The wind has been coming in 2 hourly blasts and then a quell of about 10 minutes, here, in the south west of Scotland.One of my whirley-gig plastic flowers, on the verandah, has lost all of it's petals...ah(soft sigh).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...