We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lash yourself to the bedpost on Sunday night:0

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hurricane Katia is predicted to bring us The Great Storm of 2011!

The predictions are that it may exceed The Great Storm of '87.

p.s. What were you expecting when you opened the link...?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Looking at the Met Office website, I can't see where on the mainland, very high winds are forecast now (Ullapool 46 mph Mon nt, only 15 on Sun night) Gales seem to be at sea only, or have I missed something?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I recall,the 1987 storms in England damaged a lot of 'overhead telephone cables'.I worked with BT at the time.Many of my workmates (Glasgow based) volunteered to help out with the big repair job,down south.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I had an old slate roof at the time 50% of which ended up elsewhere, southcoast near Portsmouth

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The west coast of Britain is going to take a battering"

According to the latest information from the Met Office it's Northern Ireland, Scotland, and the North of England that has a yellow alert - the lowest level of the three stages of severe weather alert.

The alert isn't just for the west coast at all, but for the whole of the regions mentioned, including the East coastal areas.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

We've had this sort of storm up here before. The record wind speed in the Cairngorms is about 170 mph. In the time I've lived up here, some violent winds have passed by, but, by and large, the buildings are built to withstand whatever the climate throws at us. The outhouses, wife's wig, trees, and other temporary pieces of furniture, etc, can usually be found in Aberdeenshire. We clean up, and get on with it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Once again I will be lying in bed listening to the whole roof lifting and then slamming down again!

Quite frightening, but so far only lost one small bit of it once.

I've lost the greenhouse about four times in the last ten years.

Fingers crossed!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I notice we've just been given a yellow warning for Tuesday as well as the amber for tomorrow!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

"Lash yourself to the bedpost on Sunday night"

I think I'm a little old for that sort of night-time behaviour. But each to their own.LOL

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Bedroom curtains just starting to get near the horizontal, so I guess it's time to close a few windows!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Getting a bit breezy here in South Yorks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July