We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lash yourself to the bedpost on Sunday night:0

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hurricane Katia is predicted to bring us The Great Storm of 2011!

The predictions are that it may exceed The Great Storm of '87.

p.s. What were you expecting when you opened the link...?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Ancient sea folklore

"If the wind before the rain, you can let your sheets remain

If the rain before the wind, then your sheets" (sails NOT bedsheets) "to the spars must bind"

Today is really muggy and drizzly so perhaps when the wind comes it will be strong, though distance prophesies like this usually fizzle out by the day.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Great...I was living in Cornwall during the last Great Storm.....4 weeks without electricity howling winds and living in a place called Porth just outside Newquay.

The advantages?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mermaid+inn+porth&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1568&bih=1140&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&tbnid=hWBe73LTl3wIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/15106/MermaidInn/Porth&docid=rXxDcVVar34VKM&w=340&h=216&ei=wyJrTsOdIcSV8QOWqPQn&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=689&page=1&tbnh=165&tbnw=230&start=0&ndsp=39&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=102&ty=99

It was a pub!!!

We managed it for 6 months....Never seen seas like it, came right over the top of the building, but we did have beer (gas pressure only)

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Now no links work, Anyway its called the Mermaid inn, Poerth Newquay Cornwall.

Whats happened to the globe system of posting links?

age again?

Probably :))

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Not for most of us - should miss the south, in 1987 I was the only person to get past the fallen trees and get into work before lunchtime.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I hate these severe gale warnings.

My wife and I sleep right at the top of the house (loft conversion - peace and quiet when children living at home, don't ask), and when the wind blows really hard it makes the structure tremble slightly. My wife doesn't sleep, she thinks the roof will blow off and leave us lying there, in the rain.

It's unlikely to happen because when it was being built I made sure that there was extra strapping in the roof structure, but she's not 100% reassured.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE Why not ask her to sleep downstairs tonight and you stay up, so you will both have a sound sleep!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Tonight? I just checked the BBC weather warning page, and there's nothing affecting South East England. The warnings all refer to Wales, Northern Ireland, Northern England, and Scotland.

They'll be monitoring Katia as she tracks across the Atlantic tonight and tomorrow - weakening as she goes - and no doubt the situation could change. So far it's looking as though my wife can sleep easy tonight.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE Like you I live in the South and hope you and your wife sleep soundly on both nights. In Nov '87 , as my house is pretty solidly built we slept through the gale but I drove about 55 miles from Fareham to Burgess Hill - usual time 1 1/4 ours - it took well over 5 hours using many diversions etc and I saw thousands of uprooted trees,a ship stranded near Brighton, yachts in trees etc. I hope the areas likely to be affected are not likely to have such a situation.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The west coast of Britain is going to take a battering.Wind can flatten lovingly cared for tall plants in seconds...if you can shelter them, then do it, pronto! And stay indoors if you can, 'til it's over.I AM REPEATING MYSELF!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback