We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beercan WiFi booster

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

How to improve your signal strength using the power of beer.

Beercan booster

(how come PCA never features stuff like this?)

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"how come PCA never features stuff like this?"

I can't answer that, but I can tell you that this idea has been floating around the internet almost since wireless networking first saw the light of day.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

On the whole, with range boosters costing around £20.00 and looking better cosmetically, I think I'll pass:)) a decent wifi router is preferable. ISPs shoot themselves in the foot by supplying inferior products.

Take VM's " super hub" it has a range of about 20feet. I always add a decent router ( Draytek in my case) and disable the wifi side of the hub, using it only as modem.

Range on my Draytek? Over 30 metres!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

In some houses this setup will look a right eyesore ontop of the Queen Anne sideboard, but in others if wouldn't look out of place at all on top of the stash of Duff Beer...

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

LOL "ones wireless broadband performs better with a beer can"

Never tried it myself, there are usually enough empty cans in my re-cycle bin!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The cantenna has been around for ages. Cantenna

We made one in about 2006 using a Pringles tube and it worked very well at extending wireless range.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Perhaps I shouldn't say but........in the early days of satellite broadcasting a dustbin lid (steel) could be adapted to receive programmes

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I am with talktalk their router was ok but not good changed it to a bought belkin from mapins a good improvement all round in signal strength and distance covered.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Well I liked it, which is why I posted it. If you've seen it before, then fair enough but remember there's a first time for everything.

But the heath robinson approach appeals to me, especially in this sort of thing. It brings back memories of home made directional antenna's for vhf tracking contests in my younger days as a newly minted G4.

But there I go,meandering again.

WTM

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My aluminium beer cans are used as plant pots.I use a fancy £2.99, hand-held-butterfly-movement can opener to take off the top.( my electric one broke down).I drill holes in the bottom and hey presto! I just bought some autumn bedding plant plug packs from Aldi...about 100 little plants.I hope they don't mind their new homes.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I find that beer cans can make most things seem better, provided you consume enough of their contents.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......