We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Camera Inheritance

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have inherited a variety of cameras from my old pal who passed away recently. Hassleblad, Nikon, Pentax and a couple of high end digital slr's.

Expect for the digital stuff, the others are film based, many with motor drives and dedicated lenses. Do people still use this kit? I don't feel it appropriate to sell them, but wonder if they can be put to use?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Thanks for the information, I know I wouldn't use them, and that my friend would be happier if they were being used ( He went digital a long time before he died) I will investigate art colleges. It seems that some of this kit is worth quite a lot of money.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The Hassleblad will be welcomed greatly by many art students.

Depending on the model though you may be able to buy a super high resolution (up to 50 (yes five zero) megapixels) digital back for it.

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/products/digital-backs.aspx

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

My son's into photography and swears by film cameras taking better pics. I would be very interested in what you have as a X'mas present for him. I hope this is not an inappropriate message for this forum.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

rickf

Not inappropriate, just don't feel that selling them would feel right somehow.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

rickf

In the right hands good quality film can outstrip the performance of digital cameras, but modern digital cameras now better the resolution of 35mm film, so for the vast majority digital is better.

I've recently bought a Panasonic DCM-FZ45 and have found that I take much better, more considered photographs because I can compose the image in the display, take the photograph and see how it looks, then compose the image again if necessary.

This is much the same system as studio photographers used, by having a polaroid back on their Hassleblad to take sample shots, then slap the 120 roll film back in place for the actual photographs...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Brings back memories of using a Hassleblad for aerial photos.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I still on occassions use my Bronica 2 1/4 sq camera, but find my Canon DSLRs give me better image quality and without all the hassle of spending an evening in the darkroom.

For an idea on value check out Ebay Medium format cameras

Like this post
iambeavis

Likes # 0

I sold all my digital gear in February. I'm 100% film (for the capture), using Nikkormats that are 35 years old and still working - even if the battery dies I can still take photos at all speeds. I wasn't too happy with digital but it took me several years to admit to myself that I'd made a mistake and, in the meantime, wasted a lot of money on gear. Still, not to worry - all happy now. :)

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Hassleblad for aerial photos.

I think there are still a couple left on the Moon and one may be still in orbit after being dropped.

Art College may be the way to go.

Try Jessops or Jacobs to see if they will make an offer or estimated value for you.

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I'm all digital, and find it far more user friendly than film. Perhaps that's my lack of talent :))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features