We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FREEMSG: from 447938544308.

peter99co
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just had this pop up on the mobile phone

Our records indicate that you may be entitled to £3750 for the accident you had. To apply free reply CLAIM to this text message. To opt out text Stop.

What accident?

What rubbish?

What is the catch?

Deleted without any hesitation!

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I have had them too. It seems that some insurance companies will sell data to claims merchants who will use your contact details.

Others are of course scams in the usual way.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Previous BBC article

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Millions of these messages are circulating - I've had a few of them, and so has my wife.

They are routinely deleted.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

These messages are becoming a total nuisance. I have near daily recorded messages left on the telephone answer machine, usually from the three same companies. One particular company state that 'not to receive further messages- press 9', doesn't make the slightest difference.

My 'accident and injury' all results from a slight bump in a supermarket car park about two years ago. No injuries to any person, and only a minor knock to my front bumper bar, no damage to the other vehicle, which I thought was best reported to the insurance company for their records.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Must have had 100 of them. The worrying thing is that they seemed to have access to at least some of my medical information going back over a decade to the time of my wires death.

Because of this, I contacted them and requested the detail that they held. They hung up rapidly.

I considered contacting OFFCOM but since the messages seem to have stopped, I left it. These are ambulance chasers and I guess we have to live with it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

News this morning said the gouvernment are going to ban the sale of details of accidents to prevent this sort of thing

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......