We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The latest gas/electricity price rises.

gengiscant

Likes # 0

Just had my online bill informing me that in line with the price increases of 18% Gas and 16% Electricity announced earlier in the year by British Gas my monthly bill has jumped not 18% for gas but 34%.

I have just phoned and questioned why this is so but as the account is not in my name, but my partners and who is out at the moment, the customer service rep is unable to answer my questions until she has permission of the account holder. Even though after she gets this permission she will be dealing with me.

That aside,I expect the amount of the rise to be reduced as I don't think they will be able to justify the 34% increase.

But I wonder how many people just except these rises without actually looking in to them. A big difference between 18% and 34%. No doubt I will get the same excuse as I got the last time they tried this sort of thing on,very apologetic and blamed computer software and explained that they had little control over what the computerised billing system sent out to British Gas customers.

I look forward to round 2 with customer service later today after they have obtained my good ladies permission for them to talk to me.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Round 2 should be looking for providers that will do it cheaper.

I am not a British Gas lover so they would not be on my list.

I heard in the news about a fortnight ago that one of the company's that provide Gas and Electric profits were up 100% since last year.

You have to ask why the government allows it.

All you have to do is go online and search and make sure you know or have a good idea as to what you have been charged for the last year or what energy that you have used in that time.

Some of the providers will charge you for leaving unless you have complained that you were not happy with the price increase and you wanted to leave.

The provider that I am with does not charge but I would take a bet that yours would.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just had a quick look out of the 5 Tarrif's that they do they charge on 2 of them.

£30 for each fuel and the other one just said £55.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Just switched saved £18.00 a month. Guaranteed not to change till spring 2013, hopefully I will be fully recovered long before then and back to work so with any luck it might not be as much as a problem as it is now.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It all appears to be one of the 'joys' of privatisation.

Was a time when the gas and electricity people had high street street showrooms/offices where they were helpful and approachable. Now we have 'company statements' produced by accountants to provide dividends and bills containing hidden elements to pay for alternative, green power.

Another example of 'progress' I suppose!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

That looks like a good deal.Do you mind sharing who you went to as I am about to change as well but I have not made my mind up who to go with.

I am only trying to change my gas provider and not all of them does that.

Another little toy for you to have a look at.Nothing to do with fuel costs.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/batteryinformationview.html

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

butman

Its Npower.

and your link does not work.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes I tried N-power and can get my gas £90 odd £ cheaper so they are favorites at the moment.

I have been trying to get in touch with the Coop to see how much they charge for gas but they don't do it via the internet for gas alone so I have to phone them.

I will be doing this every year from now on we have some greedy domestic fuel providers out there.

Thanks for the Information.

Yes that link does not work I will see if I can get another link that does.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It was this for laptop batteries.

Click on the screenshot to see what it does.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/BatteryInfoView.shtml

Knowing you you will already have something like this downloaded.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Do not have a laptop,the only time I have had one is if it has been gifted to me,then I upgrade as best I can then flog. I am a desktop man, the best I can afford to build. But thanks anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED