We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

scamming the Microsoft call centres

finerty

Likes # 0

computer hackers

they been ringing to get hold of account details, so beware.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I dont think you have read/written this correctly. They are not scamming Microsoft!

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I suppose that it is new to some but the scam has being doing the rounds for some time.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I had a call yesterday. I've been warning people that I know for some time. I didn't get to one in time though and he installed software, etc. A warning was on Radio Devon months ago.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

I had two calls in one week claiming to represent Microsoft. Both callers were from India, the first, I let him go through the process of informing me the computer is infested with lots of nasties and offer to clean up the mess at a price. All he needed was permission to access the computer and my banking details. How much? Well that would be decided once it was determined how many nasties needed removing. Before I could say, "This a con, I'm calling the police!" For some reason we were cut off.

The second two days later, introducing himself as representing Microsoft, I interrupted and said it was only two days ago his brother phoned me and he had the details. This time I put the phone down.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Microsoft will never call anyone about anything to do with a personal computer. Neither will they email anyone about anything, other than to send out email newsletters consistent with a prior consent.

You might think that it makes common-sense not to allow a random caller to have access to a computer, but not everyone understands the dangers involved, and not everyone understands that Microsoft would never make calls like this.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

I had a spate of these calls and reacted in a variety of ways. But still it continued, with up to two calls every week. I finally asked the caller to listen carefully because it was a bad line and used a personal high shrieking alarm. After three more calls using this technique the calls stopped.

I know the phone system limits the loudness of sound that comes out of a phone, and it can't transfer a wide range of sound frequencies either, but it worked anyway.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I find the easy answer is, sorry I don’t have a computer where did you get your information from? They normally go away quite quickly.

Noldi

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I always start by insisting them telling me what number they have dialled - I do not tell them what it is as it is usually a computer going through all numbers. Then I ask for a call back number in case I want to follow up the issue: if they won't give one I ask to speak to a supervisor. Then I prevaricate saying the householer is upstairs etc, and if I have the time keep going until they go away having wasted a lot of call time.I never give them any details.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Then I prevaricate saying the householer is upstairs etc, and if I have the time keep going until they go away having wasted a lot of call time."

I always have difficulty in understanding why anyone bothers to do all that - why not just put the phone down?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE To make them waste money in a small attempt to retaliate. A bit sad, I know. I sometimes string timeshare sales people along too. I shall resolve to do as you suggest!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia