We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

070 tel numbers

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

on checking our mobile phone been charged for £5 calls on 070 numbers, don't know what the numbers relate too, never heard of 070 premium numbers before.

the phone on 3 network a htc desire smartphone. could a phone be compromised to dial numbers with the owner knowing.

number concerned are 07036274123 & 0703693530

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Which states

Watch out for 070 codes. They look like mobile phone numbers, but can cost up to 50p a minute. 070 phone numbers are intended to act as a forwarding service – known as personal numbers, they divert calls to the owner's location.

However, because they are easy to mistake for mobile phone numbers, some criminals use them to try to con you into calling them and making money out of it. If you receive a missed call on your mobile from an 070 number, do not call it back – it is likely to be a scam. [Which 2011]

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

bremmer thanks just tried ofcom website and made a complaint about the two numbers concerned.

they should be made to have a warning saying you are being diverted to a premium number.

"three" have just confirmed similar to what you say. "three" have just capped my number to prevent it again. was not aware i had been scammed till i checked the bill.

imagin advertising a bargin getting a lot of calls and scamming each one no one would know till they checked the bill and then would never know which number scammed them.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

A useful warning! Thanks sunnystaines and bremner.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My mobile phone recently 'conked-out' suddenly, for a day and a half.There was no reason why it should.It suddenly 're-awakened' as if nothing had happened.There were no warning messages.I was glad when it came back to life.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

And the connection to 070 numbers is.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

bremner - could a phone be compromised to dial numbers with the owner knowing. Not is missing

I don't like my mobile being compromised i.e. put out of commission - is that a tenuous link?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

been through all the mobile numbers we would have called and through our contacts lists no 070 numbers. yet the two offending numbers come up on the lists of calls made.

ofcom were not interested unless i could prove it was a call back call I told them cant remember making the calls let alone say when, not dialling them again to find out and getting scammed again. so written it off as a learning curve & "three" have now put a blocking cap to prevent further 070's

be warned if you see 070 go elsewhere.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It could well be you rung these numbers accidentally.

It's not necessarily a scam either, some people are too quick to jump to the conclusion that they've somehow been conned.

070 numbers are personal numbers, they are designed to forward to any line, so if you often work away you can have your number automatically forwarded to any line just by dialling an access number.

As these numbers entail additional charges to the telephone companies they are normally national rate numbers, or charged at the same rate as a mobile number, but they are not included in your bundled minutes.

The numbers are not shared revenue in the traditional sense, so the person you called will not get a cut of the call cost, but the company who issued the number will get a cut of the call.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I heed your warning sunnystaines.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Those numbers haven't been entered on http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Calls.aspx/070/m yet but there are plenty of other 070 numbers listed that make interesting reading. A lot of scams going on. You might want to add your two to the list, you can put them on with a query to see if anyone comments with who it is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...