We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Solar panels and storage heaters

Colonel Graham

Likes # 1

I'm hopefully having solar panels fitted shortly. It occurs to me if I put a small storage heater in the conservatory, it would charge during the day and release the heat on a winters evening.

Is this practical?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Does not work like that, its stored in Batteries, unless you have the hot water solar panels

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

When I say 'charge' I mean the electric element heats the bricks in the heater during the day.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

There is not enough power comes from Panels to work like that on most setups

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

During winter the sunshine (light duration) will not be very good.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Unless you're looking at several acres of panels you'll be lucky to pull in a kilowatt of power, which isn't nearly enough to charge up a storage heater.

We sell a kit for powering a CCTV camera and transmitter, the panel is 4' x 2' and is used to trickle charge a 65amp leisure battery. The camera pulls 6w and the transmitter pulls around 8w. The battery generally lasts a month before it needs to be properly charged from the mains.

Adding a small wind turbine extends the life by a couple of weeks.

This is similar to the kit we sell http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-solar-power-kit-223250

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - could I fit a small wind turbine to my windy verandah? The solar panel you described would also be a viable addition to my south-west facing dwelling perhaps.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

There's no reason why not, although the small panels & wind turbines only deliver a tiny current, typically 50kw then you're looking at spending around £170,000 for the turbine, deliver, installation and connection to the national grid

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - I would like to harness a little of nature's 'free-gifts' and see them in operation on my verandah, which is ideally placed...weather-wise, for solar and wind power, on a very small, and manageable scale.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

If you get a lot of wind across your veranda then one of these would work, but it only delivers a maximum of 50w

http://www.maplin.co.uk/50w-telescopic-vertical-axis-wind-turbine-396269

Like this post
DM.

Likes # 0

Colonel Graham

We are getting panels fitted to our south facing roof. They will generate 1.6Kw of dc energy. This is then converted to AC and fed into the house.

**I'm hopefully having solar panels fitted shortly. It occurs to me if I put a small storage heater in the conservatory, it would charge during the day and release the heat on a winters evening. Is this practical?**

Yes. Even if it does not fully charge the storage heater it will use all of the dc power and then be topped up from the grid. the trick is to use one appliance at a time. This will maximise the output of the panels.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded