We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Internet Goes Down

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Only a temporary VM outage in my area, all fixed almost before I'd phoned them to report it. Got me thinking of just how much a part of life, and just how dependent I am on it.

All my shopping, from food to well the nice new iPad stand that arrived this morning banking, most communication all relying on that fibre optic connection, and a bunch of servers.

Does pay as you go dialup still exist? I think I might invest in a USB 56k modem in order to have a stand-by probably won't happen again, but you never know.

Makes me wonder what I'd do if there was no affordable connection.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Makes me wonder what I'd do if there was no affordable connection."

You would presumably have to adjust to living your life without the Internet.

It's not something that most of us would like to think about, but the fact is, we've become incredibly dependent on something that didn't exist a relatively short time ago. That's a cue for the 'I would be OK, there's more to life than the internet' faction to leap to their keyboards, but it's a fact that the Internet has become an integral part of the lives of millions of us.

Let's elect the first politician who proposes a free fast broadband to every home in the country. We nearly got exactly that, back in the days when Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister, but she vetoed the idea.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Great Idea put the country in even more debt, it wouldn't be free taxpayers would have to fork out the money to pay for it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Onspeed, a software internet 'speed-up' program, works well with dial-up and usb mobile broadband connections.It's £25 pounds a year.I've used it for ten years, and would recommend it.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

When my wired BB goes belly-up(far to frequently)I simply plug my mobile phone into the desktop & have a much faster connection than the wired BB.As the internet ability is part of my contract,I dont pay extra though very occasionally I'd prefer slightly more bandwidth allowance than the 500Mbs I get(as auto-update for windows can swallow 500Mbs easily)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Freeola also do subscription free dial up with cheap per minute rates

freeola

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia