We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Internet Goes Down

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Only a temporary VM outage in my area, all fixed almost before I'd phoned them to report it. Got me thinking of just how much a part of life, and just how dependent I am on it.

All my shopping, from food to well the nice new iPad stand that arrived this morning banking, most communication all relying on that fibre optic connection, and a bunch of servers.

Does pay as you go dialup still exist? I think I might invest in a USB 56k modem in order to have a stand-by probably won't happen again, but you never know.

Makes me wonder what I'd do if there was no affordable connection.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've been getting a few of those lately form VM, any idea why?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I have a Vodafone usb BB dongle for emergency and away from home use.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Tesco still offers dial-up internet access

https://register.tesco.net/productpicker/welcome?submit.x=0&submit.y=0

You can usually find plenty of old 56k modems at car boot sales

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Just a couple of weeks ago I popped round to see someone and order them BB over their dialup connection, I forgot just how slow it was compared to a 2mb BB connection.

A lot of people would freak if they lost the Internet, it plays such a huge part in our lives today.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My HP Laptop as Ethernet Socket and Dial Up Socket plus WiFi

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Im with VM got their 50meg deal and ive been having connection issues on games and what not, i fully agree with Crosstrainer2 when the net does go down its incredible how isolated we become without it, the internet has become a global phenomenon to almost everyone that uses it...

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

I think they may be upgrading servers, but this was an outage at Thier end, it's normally reliable, but I think I will get modem. I do of course have my data plan for my iPhone, so I wasn't internetless.....A new word? Lol.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My standby dial up is http://emergencyinternet.com/ it's just pay as you go 0845 rate on your phone bill

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

lotvic

Perfect....Just in case!

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Thanks for that link lotvic. Appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite