We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Central Heating

morddwyd

Likes # 0

As the temperature starts to drop (or remains obstinately low!) this time of the year, one sees references, including sometimes on this fotum, from people "having to turn on the central heating" and so on.

I am at a bit of a loss here.

There is obviously a reason why they do not wish to rely on a thermostat, but I can't think what it is.

My central heating hasn't been off for the annual service since we last went on holiday three years ago, apart from service visits.

I could understand it in the old days of coal fires when the first lighting was final sign of autumn, but why with CH?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Perhaps some people (like myself) don't want the CH kicking in every time there's a slight temperature fluctuation which takes it under the thermostat settings.

Ours is permanently switched off all year anyway, with just a press of the button required to switch it on when needed. I know an old lady who has hers switched off all year as she is oblivious to the cold. Brrrrr!

I guess it's down to personal preference as everyone has a different physiological make up.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[There is obviously a reason why they do not wish to rely on a thermostat, but I can't think what it is.]

What it probably is most folk cannot afford to have their central heating on 24/7 and obviously this does not apply to you.

It is all down to costs and what one can afford.

So basically it is down to how much cash you have coming in and how much you have going out.

If you managed to save for a rainy day you are Ok.

I just wonder how many old people are going to Die this year because they cannot afford the heating bills that we are getting today.

It also affects the unemployed and the sick.

Now maybe you can see why some of us do not have the thermostat turned on 24/7

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

fourm member

[buteman, I think you're missing the point]

I don't think I am missing the point it is fairly cold and has been for the last week or so wherever you stay.

And if you have had your thermostat set at I5 degrees no doubt your central heating would have been on at sometime in that time period.

I am just saying everyone cannot afford to do this and of course morddwyd and yourself can afford to do this.

All I am saying is not everyone can afford to do it. So what I said was the reason why we can't.

And that was the answer to the question.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"of course morddwyd and yourself can afford to do this."

How do you know what I can afford?

For all you know my thermostat is set at 10 or even 5 degrees.

You set your thermostat at what you can afford.

Mine is set quite low, and no matter how low the temperature the CH only comes on for an hour in the morning, when we are getting washed and dressed, and an hour in the evening when we sit down for a meal.

Outside of those times we are either in bed, or physically working to keep warm, or out.

It's the timer that sets what we can afford, not the stat.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

morddwyd

[How do you know what I can afford?]

You have told us how you run your Central heating and if you could not afford to run it like that you would not have it on.

I can't afford to run it like that and there are probably lots of people like me in the same boat.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have it the way you have it but with the cost of fuel food ect we have it switched off and only switch it on when it gets really cold.

Just replying to your[ There is obviously a reason why they do not wish to rely on a thermostat] and gave you my answer

Housecoats and hot water bottles are on standby at the moment.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Consumer thermostat, are not reliable as to temps. and why do you need it left on when we have had the heat we have been having? glad I do not have to pay your bills. Sounds like a place that I did a Carbon Sink swap, half inch thick sink it had spit as the Water Temps was as such that you could mash Tea strait from the Hot water Tap all the time night or day

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

forum member

Morddwyd has said he has it on for about an hour in the morning and an hour at nightime.

Never once did I mention how rich he was just that if he could afford to run it that way that was up to him.

I stated that not everyone can afford to do it that way and I am one of them.

I answered the question that was asked.

[There is obviously a reason why they do not wish to rely on a thermostat, but I can't think what it is.]

I think maybe getting a bit out of hand so I will not be taking part in any more of this thread so that others may reply to the question.

I have explained why some of us do not use the thermostat and you have explained why some do.

It all comes down to what you can afford to use.

The best of luck to those that can have it switched on 24/7 I wish I could but I can't.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

One reason people still switch their CH of is because they do not have a central thermostat, every radiator in our house bar one has it's own thermostatic control and the boiler also has it's own thermostat.

So if a room that isn't being used drops in temperature it would start the boiler up.

Having one Central thermostat is very wasteful in terms of heating a house you only need a slight drop in temperature near the thermostat to start a boiler up if you haven't switched it off when the rest of the house could still be warm.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A thermostat is just a glorified switch.

Turn it to 15 degrees, and the boiler will not fire until the temperature drops below that figure. Turn it lower, and the same thing applies. Your heating system will not operate until you (or the thermostat, acting on your behalf) say so.

If you have a modern boiler you should never turn off its power supply, because a) Its internal clock will stop, and b) (and more importantly) its built in frost-stat will not be able to operate. If you go away for a couple of days and the temperature in the house drops below freezing there's a danger that water in the central heating pipes, or in the boiler's heat exchanger will freeze. If that happened you might be faced with a flooded house as the temperature rises and allows a bust pipe or boiler jacket to leak.

A frost-stat will protect the system by firing the boiler automatically when the temperature inside it drops to near freezing, regardless of what the programmer says. Turn off the power supply and that can't happen.

Nothing to do with being rich - just common-sense.

The other thing worth considering is that a boiler which has to fire to heat a house from cold is going to use a lot of fuel to raise the temperature by ten degrees or so each time it's turned on. Set the thermostat to say, 15 degrees and let the boiler gently cycle on and off for a couple of hours in the morning, and another three or four hours in the late afternoon/evening, and you might be surprised to find that you're actually using less fuel overall in winter.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

We are all different. To me, the idea of having the central heating kick in for a few minutes at pretty much any point during spring/summer/early autumn is just bizzarre. Even with our unpredictable UK weather, just switching between t-shirt, sweatshirt, cardigan keeps me comfortable. And when we do get snow in April - then yes I trot out that well worn phrase about "having to turn the central heating on" - the words suggest reluctance. Maybe if someone could develop a thermostat that could detect my attire, the curry or salad I just ate, the brisk 30 minute walk I just took, I might give it a chance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance