We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It seems we were right to blame the parents after all

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A study based on 15,000 children born in the UK in the last 40 years has revealed that "bad parenting at 16 made children more than eight times more likely to drink excessively at that age and over twice as likely to binge drink when they were 34."

and that " that parenting which combined high levels of both warmth and discipline "results in the child overall in their lives achieving lots of positive things - well-being, responsibility, efficacy, and responsible alcohol consumption is one of them."

Now I'm going right out on a limb here, but I would have thought anyone with a few grains of common-sense could work that out for themselves.

Click here for the full story

Perfect parents needn't bother.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

'Researchers found that the best approach was for parents to be warm and affectionate until the age of 10 and then combine this with more discipline. Then at ages 15 to 16 there should be more supervision.'

What a load of rubbish. I'm always warm and affectionate until they step off the mark. In my experience the age of just turning six is when they start challenging you and asking awkward questions as any normal child does. You either help the child along with what is right and what is wrong, from that age, or you don't bother. What a load of tosh in my humble experience of raising five children.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Children are like dogs.

They need to know from an early age who the pack leader is!

Seriously, my father, who brought me up alone from when I was eight, was teetotal and I only recall him striking me once.

Like most of my contemporaries I drank like fish as a teenager, but, as I said elsewhere recently, the only time the police ever spoke to me was when I once failed to come to a complete stop, on my push bike, at a halt sign.

At 16 parenting was over as I had already joined up.

I was no different from tens of thousands of others.

Parenting and example play their part, but it's society, as a whole environment, which plays the greater part in responsible upbringing.

We're to blame for the current state of things, good or bad, nobody else.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

40 years seems a long time to spot the obvious.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE you said "Now I'm going right out on a limb here, but I would have thought anyone with a few grains of common-sense could work that out for themselves." A lot of people 'out there' are lacking in this commodity. But, I agree with you, in your general summing-up.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Dare I suggest that a lot of trouble stems from the way past governments have all put family life on the back burner...you know what I mean...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I would think that if the parents drink and smoke the chances are that the children will also do the same.

Now you can't blame the parents because it was what their parents and their parent before that from whom they all learned.

Maybe they should ban drinking the way they ban smoking and that may help future generations.

I suppose most parents nowadays are more interested on what program is on TV next than what their kids are up to.

If parents are well behaved the chances are that there children will grow up the same way.

Not always the case I suppose but the chances are higher.

If parents don't give a Dam what their kids get up to their kids are more likely to do the same when they grow up.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Of course there is always the statistic like me that bucks the trend never fits any pre-determined slot:)

As the youngest of a family of 7 that smoked like chimneys and drank like fish, I'm a lifelong non-smoker and a fairly moderate drinker.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Eerrr! ommoin sense? Wossat?

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

I would have thought anyone with a few grains of common-sense could work that out for themselves.

Yes -- Actually that's true of many of the things where a lot of money is wasted on research. How they all continue to get away with it beats me. Maybe everyone is just too busy being busy to notice.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Without some evidence to support a conclusion, so called commonsense could be just a common fallacy so I think the research is justified, even if it is stating the obvious in many peoples eyes.

I would suggest the biggest problem with parenting is the lack of a father in many cases...........but I haven't done the research to back up my prejudice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers