We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Service Centre -thats a new name for the same old scam.

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

• Wot is windows?

I had a lovely Asian lady on the telephone the other day telling me she was the

Windows service centre -

I replied that I have a very good window cleaner who comes once a month-

No she responded do you have a computer?

Yes I said

Well she said- Windows can... .... I interjected 'I have a screen for the computer it does not have a window' She hung up............... Was it something I said?

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

lool there is another story of some scammers asking you to install Teamviewer which is a well trusted remote program that ive used for years BUT they are asking u to install it so they can scan ur pc for your details! Scumbags aint they!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That scam under it's various guises where they cold call you and want to take Remote Control of your pc is the same as a conman burglar knocking on your door and wanting access to look round your house to see if there are any faults - and if anything is worth nicking....

I often wonder if it's worth it for them even if they don't get you to 'sign up and part with bank details' because even if all they do is take your product key for your OpSys they can sell that on.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Got one of these calls this morning. Probably had about two dozen of them this year. Not good when you're expecting an important call, and these clowns are wasting your time.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Turn the radio on, tell them you will have to put them on hold, and get on with what you were doing. After a few mins they will realise they have been conned.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I've not had any of these calls yet. What am I doing wrong?

I do get the odd cold call, but not often. I mostly get the silent type where there's no-one on the other end.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Sadly we all get those. There is nothing that can be done.

Like this post  
Armchair

Likes # 0

Got another of these calls today. Sounded like the same 'Asian' bloke who normally claims to be from the Microsoft Service Centre, but this time he reckoned he was calling from the Accident Investigation Bureau.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia