We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HMS Hood Model

blazon 82

Likes # 0

I often wonder how many people ever complete these models that are advertised in so many weekly parts. The present HMS Hood model is in 140 parts, and must cost £800 or more and take 2.5 years to complete.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Quite some years ago I was amazed at the detail produced in matchstick models,and even more gobsmacked to learn that some of these models were changing hands for four figure sums.A friend sold a matchstick Romany caravan with a miniature horse also made from matchsticks for £4,600,he also tended to lie about where he'd got the time to do matchstick models(I told him to thank the Judge)Apparently,you can buy large bags of matchsticks for this area of hobbying.

I most certainly wouldn't spend £800+ on a plastic model kit,unless it was functional (could be sailed in the bath with my rubber duck) I used to build model buggys,complete with 4 wheel drive,differentials & disc brakes that often reached £1000+ but these could be raced against others.I only quit the buggys when I had to make changes to my spare cash and realised that a model racing buggy was costing more to run than a full-sized car. :)

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

I subscribed to "DIY Profile" quite a few years back in weekly parts. I had a few 'parts' that failed to turn up and the hassle trying to get them to post a replacement. Imagine that when you'd spent nearly £800 and you missed a bit that they couldn't replace.

The DIY profile had a accompanying set of what they called 'Skill cards', I never did get the full set of them because they were missing from the replacement pages.

Never again !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features