We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Good Kindle Book For Holiday Read

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm off to sunny Spain for ten days soon, but as I will be keeping in the shade most of the day whilst there, I would like to know if anybody can recommend a good read. I've already got quite a few books on my kindle, but I also seem to have become a more avid reader since acquiring my kindle and have read most of them already.

I know our FE uses his a lot and am amazed he finds the time to read anything. But I think he or some other book worms have their favourites. I like Nevil Shute but have already read most of his and intend to download the ones I haven't.

All suggestions welcome... Thanks in advance as usual.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Sorry to bring up this subject again, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading my Kindle in Spain and on the plane both ways. So much so, that I got through seven books in 13 days.

However my host and his wife took a shine to the Kindle and as they wouldn't allow us to pay for our stay with them we decided to repay them by buying a Kindle for them as a present. So far so good. Then we found that we couldn't buy one in the UK and have it delivered in Spain. So we were transferred to the good ole' US of A to purchase one from there. This I then did with no problems. They are delighted with their present of course but now find they have a problem. It seems they can't buy books from G.B. but have to buy them from the USA. This apparently involves a loss on the exchange rate. Below is a mail I have just got from them in Spain.

***"We are having a bit of a problem with purchasing books as we live in Spain and anything we order needs to come from the American site.  John's not keen to pay in dollars because of the conversion.  We tried to order a book but it knew we were ordering from Spain and said this couldn't be done!  We've registered at living in the UK and given a UK debit card number.  We did get onto customer services and ask if we could pay in either sterling or Euros but apparently this is not possible.  I am now going to try and order a book over the Internet using the sterling card and because we have a co.uk mail address it may be accepted, we can then continue to do this until Amazon start supplying in Spain at the end of the year.  Having said all this, we're having fun seeing what books are on offer and have already earmarked a few.  We really can't thank you both enough."***

Can anybody tell us how they can buy books from Britain, they have been in touch with the customer services as they say. 

I thought you could buy books from anywhere as long as one

was registered? Maybe our FE can help as I know he does a lot of travelling as well as reading on Kindle. Thanks in advance as usual to all who answer....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was impressed by the binatone 'README' ebook that my girlfriend recieved for her birthday about two weeks ago.It is not a kindle, and DRM books don't work on it.But, I was impressed by the 'handiness' of it.I might be getting one for my BIRTHDAY + *MAS. Costs about £70.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

If anybody wants free Kindle Books etc., then this is the site for them http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htmm In fact you will spend many hours just reading the titles...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bingalau, you've got an extra m on the end of your link so it being the season of goodwill I'll post it proper for you. It's been updated now and has 446 Places for Free Books Online and may I say thank you for the link am off to get some :)

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

lotvic. Sorry about that. I must have left my cursor in the wrong place when I pasted the link. Thanks for rectifying it... Hope you find some good free books. If you do please let me know, because I haven't had time to study the site really as yet.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

lotvic. Sorry about that. I must have left my cursor in the wrong place when I pasted the link. Thanks for rectifying it... Hope you find some good free books. If you do please let me know, because I haven't had time to study the site really as yet.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On BBC's radio4's 'Desert Island's Discs', would a 'KINDLE' be allowed as a luxury or a book.'The Works of Shakespeare' are a given.A 'wind-up' model being preferable.The Adventure's of Robinson Crusoe would be a good book choice...."Verily...my kindle was afloat, but I rescued it, and managed to crawl ashore...Thank The Lord!"

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Think its difficult to recommend as everyones taste is different.I am working my way through my kindle collection of James Patterson at the moment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made