We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Good Kindle Book For Holiday Read

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm off to sunny Spain for ten days soon, but as I will be keeping in the shade most of the day whilst there, I would like to know if anybody can recommend a good read. I've already got quite a few books on my kindle, but I also seem to have become a more avid reader since acquiring my kindle and have read most of them already.

I know our FE uses his a lot and am amazed he finds the time to read anything. But I think he or some other book worms have their favourites. I like Nevil Shute but have already read most of his and intend to download the ones I haven't.

All suggestions welcome... Thanks in advance as usual.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I seem to remember reading that digital downloads have just overtaken the sales of hard copy books in the US, but I might be confusing it with music.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Brumas. I will be colouring them in while I sit in the shade by the pool of course. Just wondering whether or not to gamble and miss my medication for a day while I enjoy a couple of Dark and Stories too? I'm easily amused.

FE. I guess when people on planes and in other public places see us Kindle owners reading them, they will be inclined to think "I will get one of those gadgets" So off they go and buy one for themselves and then their partner says "I would like one of those gadgets for my birthday/Christmas etc., so Amazon are getting loads of free publicity.

morddwyd. Downloads in my house have quadrupled since I bought one for my partner last Christmas. (Sorry about using the dreaded word so often FE.)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

It's difficult to get at the facts,partly because Amazon has not exactly inundated us with information. I have heard reports that digital book sales are now running at around 50% of all book sales in terms of numbers, although revenues are obviously lower - e-books are cheaper, and in lots of cases very much cheaper than paper books.

It seems pretty obvious that e-book sales are going to continue to increase in the short to medium term, but where things will settle is anyone's guess. My own view is that a big boost will come when we can all have colour-screen Kindles, and that may happen quite soon (run a Google search for 'Mirasol'). That will mean we can download illustration-rich books which are currently not available; it's not much fun looking at a travel book in monochrome. If you go to the British library you can look at beautifully illustrated old books in full colour in digital format - it will come to a Kindle near you fairly soon, I'm sure.

In the end we'll probably continue to buy paper books simply for the pleasure they bring, but a future generations of people will grow up with e-book readers as a normal part of their lives.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

With some tablets now being described as slates the wheel has come full circle as those of us of a certain age can remember that's what we started out on!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I'm not certain what that certain age was? But I have bought things on the slate a few times too. I wonder if you can get Kindle books on the slate?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The slate is now a credit card.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Public library staff 'all over the land' won't be 'rubbing their hands' at the success of the 'Kindle'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Public libraries face a grim future if they don't learn to live with the times. Out of 151 local authorities only 14 have been forward thinking enough to start offering digital books in their libraries.

Libraries could thrive if they concentrated on being the kind of place where people can go to enjoy some peace and quiet, perhaps do a bit of internet research, or work on a document or two with their laptops, and get a decent cup of coffee and a sandwich. Go to the British library on any day of the week and it will be thronged with people working quietly away at research, or simply enjoying a peaceful read. I'm not suggesting that local libraries have the same pulling power, but I think there's a future for them if a little bit of forward thinking was brought to bear.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope your optimistic viewpoint can be realised - FE. But I think local libraries are on the way out - BIG TIME.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

I'd quite forgotten that.

We used to go to the library (public, not school) to study, and simply to sit and read in peace and quiet.

Can't remember the last time I saw a library with a Reading Room.

Some of them now even have piped muzak, and children's play areas.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more