We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Good Kindle Book For Holiday Read

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm off to sunny Spain for ten days soon, but as I will be keeping in the shade most of the day whilst there, I would like to know if anybody can recommend a good read. I've already got quite a few books on my kindle, but I also seem to have become a more avid reader since acquiring my kindle and have read most of them already.

I know our FE uses his a lot and am amazed he finds the time to read anything. But I think he or some other book worms have their favourites. I like Nevil Shute but have already read most of his and intend to download the ones I haven't.

All suggestions welcome... Thanks in advance as usual.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Charles Dickens was a bit before Arthur Mee by 90 years. HB.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Arthur Mee's is what it says it is, a children's' encyclopaedia.

Most grown ups read grown up, and more up to date, encyclopaedias

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

FE - What about the Art and Literature and Science and Nature.. have the constellations changed?

Actually they have, but that's another story.

What do I know? Probably very little, but enough to say with confidence that your statement that "Up until 1955, the accuracy of Arthur Mee's creation is unquestionable" is not true. That's all I said, so please don't make more of it than there is. I also made the point that much of what was accepted as historical fact in 1955 has since been shown to be inaccurate. That's also true, so no need for you to be offended on Arthur Mee's account. I'm quite sure his encyclopaedia is superb, but it's way out of date in lots of ways - that's all.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Arthur Mee's is what it says it is, a children's' encyclopaedia"

It is indeed, but surely you're not suggesting that a children's encyclopaedia should get away with being less than accurate, or at least as accurate as an adult one?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

No offence to anybody - I appreciate what everybody is saying.I hope there is still a child in everyone. HB

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I used to have a children's encyclopedia much older than that one when I was learning to read. In the process of learning I discovered other things from it of course. With the aid of it and another children's book containing "Gulliver's Travels" "The Arabian Nights" "Little Women" "Treasure island" and another one I can't remember, I acquired an interest in books and writing as well as reading. I had read that five book colossus by the time I was seven two or three times. I loved it. Pity I didn't pay as much attention to arithmetic!

During the busy part of my life I gave up reading and am only now discovering how good is again.

I have downloaded quite few of the books suggested by forum members in this thread and the previous one provided by Woolwell. I am going through them at a good rate of knots and Amazon are rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of me spending so much money on downloads. Ah well, I can't take it with me.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My main point was.. if..the volumes of Arthur Mee were available on a kindle device...I would buy one. I have the originals also. I was born in 1954 and have read a lot of other books since then.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

It's very unlikely that a fifty year old encyclopaedia would make it into the Kindle catalogue, but there are thousands of other non-fiction titles to be had, quite apart from the wide range of classics available for no charge. You could acquire a small library absolutely free, or for very small sums, apart from the initial cost of the Kindle

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bingalau, I know you have lots of books, have you coloured them all in yet? ;o}

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Amazon are rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of me spending so much money on downloads"

I'm sure they (and the book publishers) are doing just that. In 2010 the sales of e-books went from £4 million to £16 million, and that trend looks set to continue. Amazon will be hoping for big sales of Kindles this Christmas, and that will result in a big surge in book sales early in the new year.

Paper book sales still dominate the market, but the lower price of e-books coupled with the sheer convenience of a Kindle or other reader will ensure that the e-book sector will continue to grow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED