We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Good Kindle Book For Holiday Read

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm off to sunny Spain for ten days soon, but as I will be keeping in the shade most of the day whilst there, I would like to know if anybody can recommend a good read. I've already got quite a few books on my kindle, but I also seem to have become a more avid reader since acquiring my kindle and have read most of them already.

I know our FE uses his a lot and am amazed he finds the time to read anything. But I think he or some other book worms have their favourites. I like Nevil Shute but have already read most of his and intend to download the ones I haven't.

All suggestions welcome... Thanks in advance as usual.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalau - I think you would like 'The Children's Encyclopaedia by Arthur Mee (Ten Volumes),printed in 1955.Can the kindle display pictures?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You may like Douglas Reeman's Badge of Glory and First to Land Badge of Glory. For biographys I found Fred Dibnah's to be very good.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Divorced, Beheaded, Died.... is a good holiday read; it does the job, in bite-sized chunks, as it says it will.

if the origins of homo sapiens interests you, I can recommend 'Before the Dawn' (Recovering the lost history of our ancestors) by Nicholas Wade.

For something a little lighter you would have to go a long way (in my opinion) to find a better novel than 'One day' by David Nicholls.

Finally, you might want to try 'IQ: How Psychology Hijacked Intelligence' by Stephen Murdoch. Don't be deterred by the rather dry sounding title - the book is a superb read.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody for all the recommendations, I shall make a list of them all for future reference. Brumas it looks as if you have got a rival for my affections in the shape of "AitchBEE", he/she sounds like another urine extractor. Right, I must now start typing out a list of all these books.... Thanks again everyone.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the recommendations folks. I've been back through the ones in the thread suggested by Woolwell "Book Recommendations" from a couple of years ago. Now I have a huge list and will read reviews and things before picking a few out for future reading... Thanks for the effort....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalau - I take that as a compliment.If the kindle people could get the aforementioned volumes on to one of their devices, I might buy one...as long as it showed all of the original illustrations, and the nursery rhymes were spoken out in a nice voice.I am still reading the originals with amazement...over 7,000 pages, tens of thousands of interesting pictures.Tons of historical information. It was only a suggestion, no wind up. aitchBEE (mister) :0)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

"Tons of historical information"

Much of the historical information in an encyclopaedia that was published over half a century ago will now be inaccurate in the light of subsequent discoveries and research.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - Up until 1955, the accuracy of Arthur Mee's creation is unquestionable.It was published by 'The Educational Book Company Limited London'.Most of the history graduates today would learn a thing or two. I know the world has changed since then.It's still a great publication.The art and literary sections are also suberb.A landmark encyclopedia.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

"Most of the history graduates today would learn a thing or two."

I'm not sure that you're qualified to know whether that's a fact. I wasn't denigrating Arthur Mee's creation, although you're wrong to say that up until 1955 the accuracy of his creation was unquestionable - plenty of experts questioned some of it.

I was making the point that the 'tons of historical information' you refer to may contain some facts that have subsequently been shown (by modern research methods) to be inaccurate. Fifty years is a long time, and much has been learnt in that time that shows some earlier historical assumptions to be flawed.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - What about the Art and Literature and Science and Nature.. have the constellations changed? I can list the contributers to these books.The diversity and immensity is wonderful.I am not qualified...but I stopped history at school aged 13. Don't knock it.Charles Dickens is on kindles...he is from 1860...90 years before Arthur Mee...Julius Caeser was 2000 years ago...Arthur Mee and his contributers had him sussed out!.What do you know?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)