We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Good Kindle Book For Holiday Read

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm off to sunny Spain for ten days soon, but as I will be keeping in the shade most of the day whilst there, I would like to know if anybody can recommend a good read. I've already got quite a few books on my kindle, but I also seem to have become a more avid reader since acquiring my kindle and have read most of them already.

I know our FE uses his a lot and am amazed he finds the time to read anything. But I think he or some other book worms have their favourites. I like Nevil Shute but have already read most of his and intend to download the ones I haven't.

All suggestions welcome... Thanks in advance as usual.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Think its difficult to recommend as everyones taste is different.I am working my way through my kindle collection of James Patterson at the moment.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

A lot depends on the type of book you like. I like the Ian Rankin Rebus and the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole series. Both crime thrillers. In each case it is better to start with the first one especially in the case of Jo Nesbo. The Stieg Larsson Millenium trilogy is good but again has to be read in the right order.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I asked a similar question 2 years ago this is the thread Book recommendations

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What are your interests?

There are an awful lot of good books in the Kindle catalogue, so a little clue to what your preferences are will help.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

My current favourite authors are Robert Goddard, Peter James (especially the Roy Grace "Dead" series, David Baldacci, Harlan Coben (particularly the Myron Bolitar series) and Lee Child. With all of them it helps if you read them in sequence but it really isn't necessary. I have read most of the Ian Rankin Rebus novels and quite a few Patricia Cornwell - although I think her latest Scarpetta novels are not up to her high standard.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Thanks to forum members input i have received my Kindle and in the first two days two books "downloaded",

White Cargo..history of white slavery at the birth of America and before the "Slave Trade".

Treasure Island...offshore banks and tax havens,Long John Silver had a peg leg made with gold.Pirate or banker..your choice.

Novels..had a few to few to mention..as Sinatra said.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

In the middle of re-reading Rider Haggard's "Allan Quatermain" I'll probably re-visit King Solomon's Mines as well (both free!).

Most of the Sharpe novels are on there, as are Wycliffe, Frost, Hornblower.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Top of your list surely must be, 'How to win friends and influence people' :o}}

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Brumas. As usual you are dead right. Thanks pal!

FE I am open to suggestions about "taste" but I do like autobiographies. I've read a few including David Niven's and Frank Sinatra's, although I think that one was probably just a biography. I like some history as long as it's not all dates. Short stories are always on my list too as I like to get through one at bedtime, that's why I have just ordered one called "Divorced, Beheaded, Died: The History of Britain's Kings and Queens in Bite-Sized Chunks [Kindle Edition] £0.99" You can tell I am also the last of the big spenders, lashing out 99 pence on that. The reviews seem to say that this book is humorous as well as being in bite sized chunks. Might be boring enough to send me to sleep before I get to the chapter's end. I am looking at some of the suggestions and will keep my options open. I suppose I can spend up to a tenner on a book or two to keep my little brain ticking over between dips in the pool. I wonder if I can still swim?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Only joking old pal, if you can get Harry Secombe's autobiography on kindle it is a good read.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features